Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Managing network folders (icons?)

Hello and thanks for reading!

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this question...

We have a multimedia production department, and I'm thinking on a system to mark the "ready for backup" folders. We create one folder for every project (and we can find all related documents, images, etc inside).

We can't change the folder name to mark it because there are some documents inside with absolute paths, this means that if you move or change the name of the folder, you have to relink too many things, and this is not an option.

OK I thought that it would be a good idea to mark the folder as "ready for backup" with a different icon, but it doesn't work on the network folders (only in local). I tried creating and customizing a desktop.ini file inside the folder but it doesn't work in our environment (SBS2008 server + NAS disks and W7/WXP clients).

I wonder if somebody have an idea to do it.

Thanks a lot,

Jud

Re: Managing network folders (icons?)

I'm curious about the term 'ready for backup': any folder created is 'ready for backup' the moment it's created, as identified by the Archive Bit attribute. Most (if not all) backup apps can use the Archive Bit to determine whether a file has changed since the last backup cycle. To see what I mean, open a folder in Windows Explorer, select the Details view, then choose the details you wish to view and include the 'attribute' field. That field will show various letters depending on the status of the file or folder in question. If there's an A there, then that folder is ready for Archive (backup). Attributes aren't shown by default, so you'll have to turn it on.

What condition(s) define a folder as ready for backup for you?
    *RicklesP*
    MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Thanks RicklesP,

When I say ready for backup, I mean that the project is finished, and it has to be backed up, make an extra copy and put it on the shelf. We perform a daily backup, but I'm looking for a system to let the people know that the folder is already backed up (like saying, this project is closed).

As you suggested, attributes can be a good option!. I'm going to look for some application that let me change/add folder attributes.

Cheers,

Jud

Comment

If someone is making a decision that the project is finished, are you removing the folder from the share completely, or do you want to leave it for future review if needed (as an example for a new project?)

To make certain no one can change anything, even people who began the files in that folder, why not take ownership of the folder as an admin and remove even the creator/owner rights? Give only read-level access to a defined group, but only admins can change or delete anything. But the info is still there if needed later, permanently available and untouchable (but not to admins.)

No 3rd party software required.
        *RicklesP*
        MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X