intermittent but constant wireless loss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intermittent but constant wireless loss

Originally, client had a Dlink 8 port wireless router. The wireless would disconnect randomly and intermittently (But also regularly - at least once a day)
    We isolated the fault to only the wireless by plugging a device into the physical network, and leaving both connections enabled.

When the wireless dropped out, all oter computeras could not access the network, nor the internet, but the single cabled computer could.

So, we replaced it with a brand new Netgeat FVS318N

two days later, the same thing is happening. All 8 devices (4 laptops, 4 iphones) lose the wireless connection. It simply disappears and isn't available to select from a list of networks.

Any thoughts or ideas ?
    I doubt that two devices would both happen to exhibit the same symptoms, and it's not really an unusually high load to be placing on the network..
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: intermittent but constant wireless loss

Presumably you have looked at whatever the WAP is plugged into (patch leads, fixed cabling, switch port)?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yep, all ok
      the unit itself doesn't restart..the wired devices don't lose comms, the internet doesn't drop,

it's just the wireless disappears all together from clients
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Any firmware updates for the modem/router?

Another WAP utilising the channel that your is using? try changing it to a random channel, from memory there are 13.

DHCP scope running out of addresses? Would think so but you never know.

Updated the drivers on the systems?

Wireless interference from another source, possibly wireless telephones?

Have you done a wireless survey on the site?

Comment

This may be able to help.
          http://www.ekahau.com/products/heatmapper/overview.html
          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

i haven't done wifi survey yet - and ekahu is installed, thanks, - i'll be doing that next

- it's not running out of addresses
            -

the only thing I can tihnk of is something is definitely interferring, I'm just buggered if I know what.
            no wireless telephones, but potentially some bluetooth headsets - I wouldn't expect that to interfer though.

I can do firmware on the new AP, but it's out of the box.
            I'll have to see wha tI can get in there next, probably tuesday

Comment

The only thing I can think of is to make a note of the time the drop out occurs and see if there is a pattern.

Where is this office located? Any one else nearby that uses a wireless network on the same channel? Apparently, some phones have the potential to knock out a wireless connection.

As above, the firmware on the router needs to be the latest and greatest.

Google Search
              A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Anyone got a microwave or somethng similar that could disrupt a signal they use at odd times. Yes, microwave was more an 11g nemisis but I wonder if there is something else that can kill an 11n signal. Ham Radio operator?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

ime, if you dont specify a channel and use 'AUTO' and there are other WAPs and RF devices, you might have problems.

in addition, some routers have the MTU set at 1500, turn it down to 1492.

the default beacon is usually 100, but if you get crappy reception/coverage in your house, turn it to down to 50.

you can also reduce the packet size by adjusting the fragmentation threshold. default is 2346, but reducing it might help. adjust the value carefully, and reduce by 20 points at a time. i would not suggest you adjust this value until you can verify that there are collisions happening...

after that, i cant think of anything else that would be 'easy' or 'quick' to check. more investigation will require a few extra tools and some more data...

for what its worth.. hope it helps

J
                  its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                  Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Working...
                  X