Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple access to a Shared foder, same user

Hi all,

I have a pretty basic question but I don't really find the answer, I hope you can enlight me on this

I've just set-up a NAS disk and I'm thinking on how to organize the shared folders and users. I thought the easiest way would be to define one used for every department (marketing, production, accounting, etc.), but I don't know if this is going to work, can I have user permission access errors?, we are in a Windows environment, XP and 7.

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Jud

Re: Multiple access to a Shared foder, same user

What sort of NAS device?
    I presume these are just shares, not NTFS permissions, but does the device read groups and users from AD to use Windows permissions?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks Ossian,

It's a Synology DS1512+, I've just created the RAID-5 volume and yes, you can join it to the Widdows Domain, and use Windos permissions. The problem is that most of the users that are going to use the NAS are now in a workgroup. Do yuo recommend me to add them to the SBS domain?

Best regards,
      Jud

Comment

If the NAS can use your AD groups and ntfs permissions then your best bet is just use groups and add users accordingly. Per user ntfs is fine for a few users but gets to be a nightmare when your dealing with alot of people. If you use groups, you just set the required permissions on the group and the users in the group inherit those permissions. I use groups even for just 1 person sometimes.
        CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
        CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Yes, please get them on the domain and manage using groups!
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thank a lot,

Have a nice weekend,

Jud

Comment

Working...
            X