No announcement yet.

vLan general question

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vLan general question

The situation:
    VM with static address 172.x.x.x and running on 172.x.x.x network needs to be transferred to the Hyper-V host that resides on network 10.x.x.x.
    Network 10.x.x.x is vLan1 and communicates with 172.x.x.x.

The final goal is to make work VM with 172.x.x.x sitting on Host 10.x.x.x.

Is it doable? The host has 4 cards. So as usually I dedicated 1 card to VMs. In settings of VM's virtual network vLan tag could be assigned.
    I tried it but ...

I posted the question on this forum and not on Hyper-V because vLan general question for accomplishing the task is higher than hypervisor topic.

First I want to know if it is doable, and than concentrate on understanding of specifics of Hyper-V vLan

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Re: vLan general question

One way to do it would be to configure the physical switch port as a trunk port, trunking the appropriate VLANs, and then set the VLAN ID on the virtual NIC of the VM itself.
    Last edited by joeqwerty; 22nd January 2013, 19:08.

Re: vLan general question

It is definitely doable. The host's IP doesn't really matter since the VMs are using a different NIC. In Hyper-V, have you configured the virtual switch to share the NIC with the host OS? If not then we're looking good, if so then you should change that setting since the host should have it's own NIC.

As for accomplishing your task, Joe's suggestion would be a good option but you do need to make sure the NICs you're using support VLAN tagging (802.1q).

Another option would be to create another virtual switch in Hyper-V and attach it to one of the unused NICs in the server. You can then simply connect the VM to that vSwitch and connect the NIC to an access port on the proper VLAN.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond