Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• internet and email monitoring

dear all;

today my boss assign a task for internet and email monitoring.......we have 100 users in the network and wants what they browse.........daily users internet traffic per user per site.........and monitor only our domain outgoing mails.......

in our setup we cannot use proxy server as for some reasons we use 6 multiple gateways(internet)......so a client / server type tool which sends users internet usage to a specific computer in the LAN..........

for outgoing mail traffic.......what should i select....no monitoring tool is from our ISP and its CPanel.

Re: internet and email monitoring

Solarwinds NPM is very good for tracking overal network performance and usage. If you want to see what sites users are going to then any web filtering solution should give you that info. Barracuda, Cisco Iron Port, etc.... PRTG is another good one and is free for I think 10 probes.

For email any email filtering solution should allow you to filter/track.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

without a proxy of "some sort", I don't see how you can monitor what actual websites end-users are looking at.

sure, you might need a proxy device, or something that'll do application-level filtering at firewall level, but you still have to have something.
      I'm not aware of any way to monitor sites browsed on the end-client sde.

Also, remember to make sure your users understand that their network usage may be monitored and/or recorded.
      Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

If you put the filter in-line you shouldn't need to have any proxy settings on the client side. This is the way I setup our Barracuda WebFilter before it died. (We use OpenDns Enterprise Filtering now).

The way to set this up would be to create different vlan's for the inside and outside interfaces of the web filter on your switch. Then put your firewall"inside" interface on the same vlan as the outside interface on the web filter. Pretty much we are just bridging the traffic and forcing it to go through the filter and then sent to the edge firewall out to the internet. All this is done at layer 2.
        CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
        CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Working...
        X