Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help to choose right hardware and process

Hi,

I am not a hardcore network guy. But I can do things myself if I have enough information. I am a programmer.

I am opening a small training business where students will use 100 iPads for learning method and internet access. I have four rooms. I want to setup a wirelss environment using Cisco gear. I have no requirement of servers at this moment. Only security students will need when they will access wireless. I believe one Cisco AP is not enough. At this moment, I don't want to have a CISCO wireless controller at this moment. I believe that will make life easier and I can use light-weight AP.

I am also thinking to have a Layer 3 Cisco switch which will connect to all AP and run DHCP server to provide IPs to iPads. That Layer 3 switch will be connected to internet router for internet access. But I am not sure because I am not a network guy. Can you please help me? I like to consider minimal cost. Thank you.

Re: Need help to choose right hardware and process

At 100 wireless connections you're probably looking at 3 - 4 radios to handle all the clients.

If you're looking to go more cost effective then you should look at other vendors besides Cisco. HP has both nice AP's and switches. Dell has very cost effective switches and I have been pleased with their performance. (have used them for core network switches and for SANs)
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response. I won't mind Cisco gears because I know basic things about it and I can do research and keep going. Can you please give me a list of specific hardware with model which I should buy. And what specific things I should consider during configuration. Thanks again.

Comment

Unfortunately things aren't that cookie cutter. I would want to go over the network, the plans for use, and the desired configuration before specing out hardware.

Also, going through and planning out the configuration should be done before deciding on hardware. And that's a long conversation. If you're not comfortable doing that then maybe bringing in a network design consultant for an hour or two would be beneficial for you.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I would certainly not overlook Meraki. For the environment you are describing this solution would be good. This whole thing was built around apple products.
          http://www.meraki.com/products/systems-manager/
          The management of devices is free but the AP's cost money.
          Last edited by uk_network; 27th November 2012, 23:48.
          Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
          I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
          MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Having a wirless lan controller will make configuration and adjustments much easier but for 5 or 6 ap's it's not really cost effective. Better off just to keep the ap's autonomous and configure them individually. The config will be almost a mirror of each other except for the local management ip etc...

We have been using Cisco 1041N's recently. They have a good price point and are very reliable. Can be ceiling mounted (drop ceiling) with the bracket or wall mounted. The antennas are internal so it makes the job a little cleaner and nicer to look at. They do not come with power bricks by default as they are POE capable so your switch would need to provide power.

A layer 3 switch would be fine as well as running dhcp on the switch. Create your vlan SVI's (layer 3 interfaces) and setup your default route pointing to your internet router. I recommend the 3560 or if you want to stack switches the 3750.

Placement will all depend on the area needing coverage. We can't see that so it's hard to say where the best placement will be for optimal coverage.
            CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
            CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

dell actually have some really cool looking enterprise-type APs that might do this for you

however, multiple Cisco AP541s configured all the same should allow roaming and hand-off between the devices..
              you may not even need a layer3 switch, unless you're planning on using vlans
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
              X