Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Point-to-Point Ethernet solution needed.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point-to-Point Ethernet solution needed.

Good Day,

Was asked by a local school to advise them on a network solution. There are four major buildings on campus. A, B, C, and D.

A, B, and C are all interconnected with 1 GB fiber as they are relatively close together. Site D is roughly 300 ft away from B and C and both have reasonable line-of-sight to D.

Site D currently has a 4 MB symmetric independent Internet connection through the cable company with SOHO VPN onto the school network which works, but is VERY slow. They want to bring site D into the local area network for email, web browsing, etc. Also, there will be a need for SIP phones over there in time. Fiber is not an option because of expense. So I am looking for an affordable point-to-point (PTP) Ethernet solution that can come close or equal to gigabit speeds and supports QoS and VLAN's.

As they are a school, budget is a huge issue. I have been given a $1K budget and can probably go to $1,500 if necessary. Everything I have looked at like PTP lasers are $30K-40K. Is there anything more affordable out there that can do the job?

Cheers.

S

Re: Point-to-Point Ethernet solution needed.

The distance limit for Ethernet is 100 meters/328 feet. Is it possible to run CAT5 or CAT5e cable to building D?

Comment

This will all depend on what the ISP's in that area can provide. Their current ISP doesn't have a metro ethernet solution for Site D? Can you increase the bandwidth on the current circuit? Hate to say it but gig speeds are not going to be cheap. I assume you have a budget of 1k a month right?
      CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
      CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Originally posted by auglan View Post
        This will all depend on what the ISP's in that area can provide. Their current ISP doesn't have a metro ethernet solution for Site D? Can you increase the bandwidth on the current circuit? Hate to say it but gig speeds are not going to be cheap. I assume you have a budget of 1k a month right?
        Internet costs here are phenomenally expensive here. 4MB is the limit of what they can afford. There is no way to get a direct CAT5 / 6 cable and trenching for fiber is out given costs.

Looking for a Line-of-sight solution. Wireless will let us do 300MB/s (Probably 150MB/s with that distance), but if there is a way to get GB speeds at a reasonable cost then I'd love to hear it. WiGig is a possibility but that is still years away.

Comment

In all honesty it better to spend the cash and get it done right. Whether that be running fiber underground to the site or setting up a dedicated circuit. Could you put this together with wifi? Probably, but then you are subject to certain environmental variables. Wind, rain, storms, interference,LOS issues etc.... Even a decent wireless setup is not going to be cheap (assuming you dont buy trash equipment).

It amazes me that people want reliable connectivity but they dont want to spend the money. Go cheap and it will bite you in the a** sooner or later.
          CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
          CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Originally posted by shadragon View Post
            Internet costs here are phenomenally expensive here. 4MB is the limit of what they can afford. There is no way to get a direct CAT5 / 6 cable and trenching for fiber is out given costs.

Looking for a Line-of-sight solution. Wireless will let us do 300MB/s (Probably 150MB/s with that distance), but if there is a way to get GB speeds at a reasonable cost then I'd love to hear it. WiGig is a possibility but that is still years away.
            We use these http://www.ubnt.com/airmax and they perform remarkably well. We also have this http://ubnt.com/airfiber , but we haven't had a chance to install it yet to see how it performs.

What you want is very possible and probably affordable. While we have great success with ours, I won't guarantee it with yours :P

Comment

Originally posted by auglan View Post
              It amazes me that people want reliable connectivity but they dont want to spend the money. Go cheap and it will bite you in the a** sooner or later.
              I agree, but the school cannot afford a full time IT Tech and there is no money to get Enterprise grade stuff. I am simply looking for an affordable solution that gives me a reliable connection, not MILSPEC grade communications.

I did find a system that supplies a pair of 100MB/s lasers for 1400 UK Pounds which is a possibility.

Thanks for the links chuff. Will check it out.

Comment

Have you actually gotten a quote for fibre and the trench? Of course you will then require the fibre connectors and a fibre capable switch.

I know you have a small budget BUT it would be worth drawing up a written plan for the school outlining the costs for the "affordable" inferior setup and the better long term high speed but more expensive option. Worded carefully and with all the costs and benefits, you can persuade them to go for the better long term setup.

An alternative is to lay some conduit between the buildings (find suitable parents who can do this to reduce costs and maybe a licenced cabler who could run the cable at cost price) run CAT 5E or CAT 6 and include a pullthrough so you can add fibre at a later stage. This way with ethernet you don't need the fibre connectors and fibre capable switches.

With Gigabit switches at each end performance will be ok even though you will exceed the supposed cable limits (I know of a CAT 5E run of 180 metres, 590 feet that works at 100mbps without issues).
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Remember there may be grounding issues with copper cable between buildings -- e.g. http://networking.nitecruzr.net/2007...-ethernet.html so Fibre may be a better economy. Consult a good electrician/networking person before making any decisions!
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                  X