Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New subnet setup

Hello,

Hopeing to get a little assistance this morning.

My current DHCP setup is currently running of IP's. I have set up Scope Extension from Microsoft on my Win 2k8 DHCP server but that isn't really the best option, freaks out, my wireless devices and my switches as well.

So current setup is like so:

192.168.100.xxx

I have many devices with Static IP's but my DHCP scope is 110 available IP address, now with everyone having Iphones, Ipads, Blackberries and other devices I run out pretty quick. So I want to re-subnet and quickly.

if I re-subnet to /22 I can get up 1024 IP's, and that should cover my network completely. I know I have to physically touch any device that has a static and change the subnetmask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.255.252.0.

but I wnat to know on my DHCP server how to set the scope up.
    I can go with 192.168.100.xxx but after it runs out how will it get the other IP addresses?

Hope that's a bit clear...

Re: New subnet setup

I dont believe you can change the subnet mask of the scope without deleting the scope first. So you would need to delete the existing scope and add the new scope with the required mask.

Or another option is to break up your network into different subnets and create new dhcp scopes for those. Cisco recommends 254 clients per vlan/subnet. Segmenting you network like this will increase performance as it reduces the size of the "broadcast domain" and allows for finer control.
    Last edited by auglan; 4th October 2012, 16:40.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

yes would have to delete it.

but my question is on my DHCP server scope, what should it look like?

192.168.100.xxx, will it jump to 192.168.101.xxx since i'll have almost 1024 usable IP's?

Comment

That range covers:

192.168.100.0 - 192.168.103.255
        CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
        CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

thanks to all

Comment

Working...
          X