Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats storage device?

Hi,

I'm looking into different backup storage devices. I was hoping to back up our virtual machines (using Veeam) to a storage device that is then replicated to a remote site.

For the backup device I was after 12tb of storage and raid 5. I've been looking at some NAS devices but they seem to vary a lot in the speeds they read/write over the network.
    Does anyone currently have this type of set up? If so how does it perform, if not what else may be suitable other than NAS?

The storage device will be in a different room to the servers so DAS isn't really an option.

Cheers,

Re: Whats storage device?

We have used equalogic san's in the past with good results. They can get expensive though especially when you get 2 units for a failover scenario. I recently ordered a Drobo Pro 16TB NAS (havent gotten it yet but I heard good things about them) for about $2500.00 US.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

I've been looking at some QNap ones - they seem reasonably priced and have had some good reviews, have you used them before?

Comment

No have not used them. I went with Drobo as a few people I know recommended them. I should have it this week and will post my results.
        CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
        CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Lets go back a couple of steps -- do you have a budget for the solution, and any particular throughput requirements (normally driven by restore SLAs)?
          What sort of network connectivity do you have?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X