suitable internet connection for...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suitable internet connection for...

this is mainly for general discussion I guess. I have a client with apprx. 40 seats. They are located in the CBD of a major city, so would have almost any option available, except NBN.

they are a digital media and web marketing company - some of them develop iphone/android apps, some of them do web dev, and some of them do SEO. There's probably some other things in the mix there.

They have a server in house with Exchange, but two groups of approximately 10-15 in total also use SMTP & imap and/or pop3 hosted servers externally.
    there's no other services hosted internally, except OWA, and my remote access.
    there are 4-5 users in another city who use a vpn back to the central office - they each use their own, rather than having a site-to-site. (i have yet to get access to the router)

So my question here is, what sort of bandwidth profile would you be looking at for this client? I know what they currently have, and I know what I think they should have, I'd just like to validate my thoughts.

Services available include:
    ADSL2+ (right next to the exchange - so they'd sync in the higher range of 20Mb)
    ADSL2+ Bonded (double ADSL2+ - estimated 35Mb)
    Ethernet over Fibre
    Ethernet over Copper
    SHDSL
    I guess technically there is 3G and 4G.

..... Go.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Re: suitable internet connection for...

tbh, unless they really need a lot of upstream, I would go with ADSL (and bond it in the future if a single line turns out to be insufficient).
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I would say it really depends on the upstream speed. If its a 20/2 or 10/1 that's not so good. A 20/2 or 20/5 may be sufficient. I also prefer synchronous circuits if at all possible. Maybe check the possibility of Metro Ethernet? Yes they are more expensive but in the long run its worth it.

I hate the way ISP's bundle their speeds. 10/1 really? Then the next step up is a 20/2 (At least with my local cable provider). We have a few remote sites that have local cable connections (10/1) and it doesn't take much to max out that upload and then everything comes to a crawl.
      Last edited by auglan; 24th August 2012, 13:22.
      CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
      CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

I'd pretty much agree. ADSL is fine if A: Upload isn't an issue and B: depends on the contention ratios which may be high given the locale. If either is a factor I'd go with Ethernet over Copper or Fibre.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I'm kind of curious what the deal is with their email. Multiple email services for the same company?
          ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Its a design company, so probably Mac users wanting to remain untainted by Microsoft
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

Comment

Whats the budget then work around that.

Comment

ok. they currently have ADSL2+, bonded
                they have an avg 2.2Mb upstream, and it's almost constantly at 1.8Mb/sec during the day.
                Downstream they have about 30Mb, which they can sometimes reach.

however, they do experience
                fairly poor performance at times.

the multiple email systems is because there are several businesses, all of which maintain their own email system. They have a very close relationship though, and share management.

the other problem they have is all the automated tools they run to query against google - Google keeps blocking their IP.
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

however, they do experience
                  fairly poor performance at times.

This would be due to the limited upload speed. I see the same issue in my remote locations that have a 10/1 connection. One of our agents uploads a video to youtube (They are realestate agents and they use youtube for marketing) and I can immediately see poor performance. The only real solution in this case is to throw in more bandwidth. The problem is the ISP's packages are way off on their upload/download. I can get these offices 50/5 but at triple the cost for a download speed they will never need so for right now they deal with it. If mail traffic is a priority for them then maybe unbond the ADSL and have one connection for mail only? The better solution is to find a synchronous circuit that meets your budget.
                  CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
                  CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

so basically - they need soemthing with a larger upload channel. which is basically what I thought, and what I said..
                    now I just need to get his budgetary ideas and see if I can convince him
                    it would help if they were planinng to move any time soon.. (which I think they are)

Comment

Yeah try and get the following info:

What is the current budget and what could they afford.
                      Are there any plans to move offices in the future, yes then speak to the providers and ask them about the moving costs.

Next step is to get onto the service providers and see whats available.

Personally we're trying to get all of our offices onto 10MB lines with 1:1 contention, harder than you think with offices all over the globe. We do pay for it, i think we are currently around $2.5K per month in our Brisbane office with an ADSL connection for general browsing and another link dedicated for SAP traffic.

Comment

We're seeing a big uptake on EFM (Ethernet First Mile) at the moment with our customers. Basically anyone with high contention and/or low upload and lots of remote users or sites are shifting over.
                        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                        sigpic
                        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I've not seen that over here yet.

Comment

Andy, do the ISPs offer an Annex M option? Internode used to and that gave you a 3 meg upstream connection as opposed to the usual 1 meg.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                            X