Recomendation For A Switch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recomendation For A Switch

I have 3 Dell PowerConnect 2724's, jumpered to each other to a Cisco ASA 5510. I am running VMWare for mostley servers. Also there are 2 seperate Domains connected to these switches, same IP Scheme though. Within our building (3 floors), there are certain rooms where i have to put a small switch to connect multiple devices because there is only 1 network jack(which is connected to 1 of the 3 Dell's). There are several of rooms like this.

What type of small 8 port switch should i get. Also should it be a managed switch? PoE? Layer 2 Or Layer 3

Thanks
    Last edited by Kobe 310; 13th August 2012, 16:56.

Re: Recomendation For A Switch

I assume the Dell's are layer 3 so layer 2 should be fine. I like the cisco 2960

WS-C2960-8TC-S

I will always go with a managed switch.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

thanks!! forgot to mention the layer, they are 2. Do you know of any that are less expensive, would like to buy a few of them. They showed up as 3-4 hundred dollars online.
      Last edited by Kobe 310; 14th August 2012, 14:02.

Comment

Yeah anything cisco isn't cheap but they are solid. You could probably get a few used 2950's (12 ports) for next to nothing. Granted they are end of life. I have one at home that I have had for about 7 years and it was used when I got it. Its 10/100 but its rock solid. Bad part is they are end of life and you wont get any support on them.

Comment

thanks, also, if you put a 10/100 into a gigabit network, does that effect the network?

Comment

Well if your gigabit all the way down to the host then with a 10/100 switch 100mbps is all you will get. Will a end host notice? Your better off spending the cache on a gig switch.

Comment

no, but would like to be. I have more than just 1 non gig switch and nic, but say i had 1 or 2, would only the non gig hardware be affected?
              Last edited by Kobe 310; 14th August 2012, 19:42.

Comment

If your trunking from a 10/100 switch to a gig switch then it will either auto negotiate 100mbps or you need to hard code on both sides to 100mbps. If going to an end host, say that has a gig nic but plugs into a 10/100 switch then it will auto negotiate to 100mbps.

Comment

I'm going to be controversial and sugggest that unless you need any of the features of a managed "proper" switch (VLANs?), why bother -- the switch is at the end of the chain and is only supporting a small number of ports. You can get basic 8 port gigabit switches for sub 50 ($75 ish) so having a couple of spares isnt going to break the bank and the whole project will be something like 1/4 the price of the Cisco equivalents.
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm going to be controversial and sugggest that unless you need any of the features of a managed "proper" switch (VLANs?), why bother -- the switch is at the end of the chain and is only supporting a small number of ports. You can get basic 8 port gigabit switches for sub 50 ($75 ish) so having a couple of spares isnt going to break the bank and the whole project will be something like 1/4 the price of the Cisco equivalents.
                    You could do that as well. Just be aware that all switches are not created equal. The throughput on a small off the shelf switch may be low and not be able to handle the traffic you send through it. Also with a non-managed switch you loose visibility for that part of the network. Most of the cheaper switches dont offer security features, spanning tree optimization, authentication, vlans etc.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, much help!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X