No announcement yet.

an email problem

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an email problem

Not sure how this is being done when you send and email your email address appears. But in my case it looks like I am sending them to my self. When the header is opened that is when I see they are comeing from many different IPs. Some from yahoo,aol,hotmail,earthlink and so on but all come in with my screen name showing as if I sent it to my self. I have changed my password 7 times this passed week and they are still coming. The only thing I have noticed is someone is placing another name in front of my screen name or email address.
    They are all for some drug site in canada.

Re: an email problem

Probably a virus on a computer you have sent email to (or who has you in an address book) so your address is marked as a target for spam.

Spoofing it as from your own address is a common technique to avoid spam filtering.

Not a lot you can do except block addresses and delete them.

What email client are you using (so this thread can be moved if appropriate)?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: an email problem

May want to think about a better spam filter solution. We use postini, and postini will block emails coming inbound sourced from a domain it handles mail for by default. Of course this can be an issue if using services like mail chimp etc that source emails from your domain but postini allows you to approve certain ip addresses and ranges.
      CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
      CCIE Security (In Progress)