Outlook Express

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlook Express

I have discovered if Windows no longer works for any reason, before you lose all data by reinstalling Windows, you can use various temporary versions of Linux to access the drive and copy files to a Flash Drive, and maybe burn to a CD / DVD. So where does say Windows XP using Outlook Express hide all our emails to that they could likewise be copied over please?

Re: Outlook Express

I believe the .dbx is stored here:

C:\Documents and Settings\"your username"\Local Settings\Application
    Data\Identities\{unique hex string}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Thanks quite correct here with Win XP.But how do we open up the dbx folders to see the actual emails I wonder. The MS site appears to have special software to do this.

Comment

Found this app they may do what you want:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/dbxviewer.html
        CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
        CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Thanks again. I have managed to set mismn.exe as the file association for dbx files, but I expect that software is better.

Comment

Don't forget that Outlook Express Address Book is in a different location to the data files.
            C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\Your Username.wab

Once you get OE back up and running again, export the Address Book to a CSV file so next time you can just import the address etc instead of adding the old WAB file.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks for reminding me. There are of course a variety of formats to transfer addresses, but not all are compatible with both Outlook Express and Windows Live Mail used by Vista and Win 8 I understand.

Actually when it comes to sending bulk mail ( usually limited by servers at 20 a time ) I find it far easier to just copy and paste blocks of up to 20 addresses, rather than store all their names and addresses in the address book. I do not need to know most of their names. But the club Treasurer does need to know their name to identify them. So I now let him send me a list containing both, and I have concocted a little program that only reads the addresses, then creates blocks of not more than 20.

We do of course get the problem of members not renewing their subs until month later to qualify to have their addresses included to receive the News Letter

Comment

Have you ever thought of creating Distribution Lists to send your emails. Saves a crap load of time, no Copy 'n Paste necessary and doesn't take long to set them up.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry but forgive my ignorance as a pure Amatueur, how do I set up a distribution list? Bear in mind the Treasurer often wants small changes made?

Comment

http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy....,cf.osb&cad=b
                    (second link)
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                    X