Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Major lag over permanent VPN - How can I speed this up ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major lag over permanent VPN - How can I speed this up ?

Hey all

We have 2 business sites about a 1 mile from each other and there is currently a permanent VPN connection between them. This also includes VOIP telephones

There is a major delay in network speed any was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to speed this up ? ie Phones conversation break ups, 20 second to save etcc

Running mainly 1GB netgear switches with one 10/100 - Would this impact it much?

Any ideas much appreciated folks!

Re: Major lag over permanent VPN - How can I speed this up ?

IMHO start by speaking to your ISP or whoever provides connectivity. With a VPN the physical distance between the sites is immaterial as you have no idea where the data is actually going (for an exercise, pathping or tracert the public IP of the other site)

It is likely the internet connection will be slower than the LAN gear, so 10/100 should not matter
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      IMHO start by speaking to your ISP or whoever provides connectivity. With a VPN the physical distance between the sites is immaterial as you have no idea where the data is actually going (for an exercise, pathping or tracert the public IP of the other site)

It is likely the internet connection will be slower than the LAN gear, so 10/100 should not matter
      Thanks for that Ossian

We currently have 10MB lines in each location (best available) with infinity being available shortly.

Would there be any any other options available for us? Is there any hardware you would recommend putting in place that could effectively make the network seem like its under 1 roof? ie Cisco 800 Series Routers?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...380/index.html

Comment

Are these 10MB lines synchronous? (10 up and 10 down) What type of phones and call management system are you using? How may phones and how many active calls? What Do you have any QOS polices in place? Does your ISP honor your QOS markings per your SLA? or is it just best effort across the link.

What devices are the endpoints? What codec are you using across the vpn? (G711, G729 etc)

Have you monitored the traffic across the vpn to see your usage?

Is this a point to point circuit or just an internet circuit?

Have you adjusted the MTU and MSS on the interface to account for the vpn overhead?
        Last edited by auglan; 16th May 2012, 14:09.
        CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
        CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

10mb what? ADSL? Cable?

ADSL is "up to" 10mb and usually has no QoS or guarantees. You're also at the mercy of contention ratios in busy areas. There are other options such as EFM (Ethernet First Mile) which usually has guaranteed speeds but of course they cost more.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by auglan View Post
            I think this is a place to start - keep an eye on your circuits, at both ends, for a few days, and see what's happening wit the traffic.. maybe you're overloading your circuit ?

no point trying to fix it, until you know what the problem is.
            check out latency between the two links as well- doesn't matter if you've got 10Mb Symmetrical links at each end, if the latency between them is poor..
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
              10mb what? ADSL? Cable?

ADSL is "up to" 10mb and usually has no QoS or guarantees. You're also at the mercy of contention ratios in busy areas. There are other options such as EFM (Ethernet First Mile) which usually has guaranteed speeds but of course they cost more.
              Location A (main offices) -

Location B (using VPN tunnel access -

Are we better investing in some long range Cisco routers to connect the businesses? Would that be a better long term option?

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                I think this is a place to start - keep an eye on your circuits, at both ends, for a few days, and see what's happening wit the traffic.. maybe you're overloading your circuit ?

no point trying to fix it, until you know what the problem is.
                check out latency between the two links as well- doesn't matter if you've got 10Mb Symmetrical links at each end, if the latency between them is poor..
                Is there any particular software package you would recommend to test the latency ?

The issue was happening this morning again from 7AM when the majority of the business was not present and there was little drain on the line.

As you can see these are the speeds we are getting at each location -

Location B (using VPN tunnel access -

Comment

Since your VPN is uploading as well as downloading, it is absolutely limited to 700kbps (less any web uploading at each end)

Can you switch to SDSL -- some ISPs offer it?
                  Alternatively a leased line (dedicated speed, but not cheap) or if there is a line of site, PtP wireless?
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by auglan View Post
                    Are these 10MB lines synchronous? (10 up and 10 down) What type of phones and call management system are you using? How may phones and how many active calls? What Do you have any QOS polices in place? Does your ISP honor your QOS markings per your SLA? or is it just best effort across the link.

What devices are the endpoints? What codec are you using across the vpn? (G711, G729 etc)

Is this a point to point circuit or just an internet circuit?

Have you adjusted the MTU and MSS on the interface to account for the vpn overhead?
                    As below the lines are not synchronous

The phone system is a Panasonic KX - TDE200. There are only 4 phones going over the VPN tunnel (and 3 computers)

Im not sure on the codec, where would I find them ? VPN connection wasnt set up by myself.

Comment

Since your VPN is uploading as well as downloading, it is absolutely limited to 700kbps (less any web uploading at each end)

Can you switch to SDSL -- some ISPs offer it?
                      Alternatively a leased line (dedicated speed, but not cheap) or if there is a line of site, PtP wireless?
                      Fibre optics will be soon available to I am hoping that there will be no line issues.

Would you put the issues I am having down solely to the poor line speeds?

Comment

IMHO yes, but without further information, cannot be absolutely sure. The "20s to save file" seems to fit, anyway

Can you measure load over the VPN and compare with available bandwidth (upstream speeds)
                        Tom Jones
                        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                        IT Trainer / Consultant
                        Ossian Ltd
                        Scotland

Comment

IMHO yes, but without further information, cannot be absolutely sure. The "20s to save file" seems to fit, anyway

Can you measure load over the VPN and compare with available bandwidth (upstream speeds)
                          Even when browsing through server folders there is a major lag.

What would be the best method of doing this? Have been using Mircosoft Network Monitor but theres nothing really jumping out at me.

Upload speeds a fluctuating between 0.65 and 0.85 mb/s.

Comment

Does your router record VPN traffic?
                            If so do a simple "load = volume / time" calculation to see how many kbps are going through..
                            Tom Jones
                            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                            IT Trainer / Consultant
                            Ossian Ltd
                            Scotland

Comment

Does your router record VPN traffic?
                              If so do a simple "load = volume / time" calculation to see how many kbps are going through..
                              No unfortunately not (that I can see anyway)

Using DrayTek Vigor 2830 routers on each side. Is there any software packages you know of that would record this for me ?

Comment

Working...
                              X