Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing domain Name

Hello All:

I am looking for some advice on how to change to a new domain name.

We are currently running Windows server 2008 R2 on all servers.
    We have a mail server and a web server which will be changing to a new Domain name.

I would like to set it up so that the new domain can run parallel with the old one until everything is tested then switch over.

Re: Changing domain Name

are you talking about an Active Directory domain, or just a domain name ?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Okay at the moment i have domain1.ca running. Everything has mail.domain1.ca www.domain1.ca and also active Directory

i would like to change everything to domain2.ca Example mail.domain2.ca www.domain2.ca active directory.

I have registered the domain2.ca name and provided the domain registration with DNS servers that are provided

Comment

So really it is changing emails, not a full AD rename

What version of Exchange are you running?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

okay i must be missing something so early in the morning

Our management staff have instructed us to change our domain name to something that actually relates to our business as the current domain name does not fit our needs anymore.

at the moment i am running one domain. On that domain i have the following web server, mail server ( Not Exchange ) DNS servers, File Server Helpdesk server etc.
          These all run under the domain name of domain1.ca

I need to move everything above to domain2.ca with minimal downtime as possible

my thought process was to create the new domain name(domain2.ca and still have the original (Domain1.ca) running at the same time. THen move one server at a time to try and lessen the number of errors i would be creating.

I hope i am not confusing you

Comment

You can rename an Active Directory domain if you really need to (IMHO it has no impact on business if users are logging on -- and only logging on -- to domain1 rather than domain2)

Your mail server (what is it) should be able to cope with multiple email domains (your public face) and give users 2 addresses for the same mailbox
            [email protected] (for legacy purposes, receiving email from people who haven't learnt the new address
            [email protected] (used to send email from and to receive newer emails)
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X