Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice to setup this "special" network workgroup

Hi all and thanks for reading.

I need some advice to setup a work group of 20 PCs for a new working environment, and I need some advice as this is the first time I need to set up something similar.

This is the situation, we are going to start a graphic documentation project where we'll have to work all day with AutoCAD and Corel Draw to digitize vector information from large image files >1GB, we use this files as reference (we do not modify them). Most of the times several users (up to 4 I believe) will have to work with the same image as reference, so I need to setup the required infrastructure for this kind of sharing.

I have received some extra hardware from a partner company:

1 x HP MSA2000 (with 7TB large enough for our project)
    2 x HP SAN Switches (HP StorageWorks 4/8 Base SAN Switches)
    2 x HP Procurve (24) Gigabit network
    3 x HP DL380 servers
    1 x HP DL320 server

I don't really know if this can be useful for this kind of setup.

We already have the network of 20 W7 and XP computers. The network is cabled using CAT5E.

How you'd design it?

I was thinking on 2 HP DL380 acting as file server with redundancy, attached to the MSA2000 through the SAN switches, and all 20 PCs connected to a GigaBit network.

Do you think it'll be enough?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Jud

Re: Advice to setup this "special" network workgroup

IMHO with 20 PCs you should be setting up a domain, not a workgroup.

You haven't mentioned storage requirements, but I presume you have planned for current and anticipated future growth in storage. Also what are the hardware specs on the servers?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks a lot Ossian,

So you recommend a domain, OK this is not a problem, I have to set everything up from scratch.

Servers specs are:
      DL380: 2 x Xeon 5460, 2x 146GB SAS and 8GB of RAM
      DL320: 1 x Xeon 3050, 80GB SATA and 4GB of RAM

Yes thanks, MSA2000 have 7TB which is enough for our future needs.

Will you use Windows 2008 in these two redundant DL380 servers accessing the SAN switches to serve the images to the users?. Will we have problems if 3 or 4 users from different PCs pan and zoom the same image at the same time?

Jud

Comment

that's alot of hardware for a relatively small organisation... wow.

I would:

DL320 as Active Directory Domain controller
        DL380 as two servers, connected to the SAN as you said
        the workstations connected to the Gigabit ethernet.

however, you may still end up with contention and locking when multiple users try and access the same file at once..
        ultimately, for CAD-based work I beleive most of the power really needs to be on the client side.

if you could, I'd try and get the DL380s connected using 10Gbe to the main switches (not the san) as this will give you some additional throughput.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks tehcamel,

Well, the hardware comes from a company that has been closed. I believe we don't need to purchase anything else.

So I should use Windows Server 2008 for all 3 servers, being the DL320 the Active Directory Domain controller, and the other two as file servers (replicated).

I'd like to know if with this setup we can read the same image file from different clients at the same time.

Our computers are all Intel C2D or C2Q with 4GB of RAM, we've been using them for a few years and they work pretty well, but now they'll have to access the same file as we can't store all image files in every computer...

I'll investigate if we can connect the DL380s @ 10Gbe to the Procurve switches.

Best regards,

Jud

Comment

Server 2008 R2 if you have a choice

Yes, you will be able to read the file from multiple clients (assuming the software has no issues with it) but may be laggy if several are opening a file simultaneously.

If Image file is > 1Gb, will 4Gb be enough on the clients?
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks again Ossian,

Well we use 32bit OS for the clients so we can't use more at this time

Do you think another option would be to use a good NAS? or even 2 (for data replication). That would be much simpler...

Jud

Comment

Working...
              X