Will iPv6 make the creation of VLANs a thing of the past

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will iPv6 make the creation of VLANs a thing of the past

Considering the fact that each host in an iPv6 network will have an iPv6 address which is directly related to the MAC address of the NIC in the host, how would it be possible to create iPv6 based segments in the network with VLANs?

In the iPv4 world the maximum number of hosts in an IP range is limited, hence one would be able to determine which hosts should belong to a VLAN. However in the iPv6 world this would be a very very large pool and as a consequence pretty difficult to determine (assuming thousands of hosts).

Or am I missing something here?

I look forward to your feedback.

Re: Will iPv6 make the creation of VLANs a thing of the past

Not an expert on networking but I believe vLANs can provide an element of security as well.

Comment

You can have multiple layers of security. VLAN's can be one of that layer. IMHO is there no real difference between the use of VLAN in a ip4 and ip6 world. Each vlan will just have it's own pool of ip6 addresses.
      gerth

MCITP sa, ea & va, [email protected]

Comment

An ipv6 host doesnt have to use the EUI-64 format. You can configure them statically but for end hosts like windows end hosts that could get tedious. Remember an ipv6 host has multiple ipv6 address's. Every host will have a link local FE80::/10. The link local is exactly what it says, local to that link only and are not routable between interfaces. The site local addressing is deprecated in the RFC. ULA addresses are the equivalent of the RFC 1918's for ipv6 - FC00::/7. Then you have the Global Addresses. You can create subnets with ipv6 addresses as with ipv4 addresses, nothing has changed as far as that goes, just now we have a huge address space to work with.
        CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
        CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Working...
        X