Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW to change Subnet of Existing Domain Controller

Hi,

We are using 1 Domain Controller with 2 ADC servers.
    due to some reason we need to change our Subnets. What precotion I need to take befor doing this Task.

Some Of my fried suggested me to Take complete shutdown of Servers and Client including network Switches. and change directly IP Subnets of servers,

please suggest step-by-step activity !

Re: HOW to change Subnet of Existing Domain Controller

What servers and services you running?
    Changing ip subnet should not require shuting switches / desktops or even servers
    I recomend you to process step by step
    your transition strategy will be dependant on servers and services you hosting

Comment

As with all networking, apply the 5 P's (or 6 or 7 depending on your preferences)

Document current network first, especially all static IPs (printers / routers / switches / servers)
      Reduce DHCP lease to very short duration (say 1 hour) - remember clients will have the old lease duration so do this well in advance
      Make sure you know HOW to change static IPs on wierd devices!
      Plan work out of hours and, IMHO do it in order of
      1) Change DHCP scope
      2) Change Server IPs
      3) Change switches / routers IPs
      4) Change router port forwarding, VPNs etc
      5) Change printer IPs
      6) Change printers on print servers
      7) Check workstations have picked up new IP and IPCONFIG/RELEASE & RENEW if not
      Then TEST everything you can!

Obviously this depends a lot on your network environment and is more applicable to a single office than a large and complex design.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for this steps ! want to know I am using Proxy server and 3 ADSL modem for Intrnet connectivity...
        Few users using Direct Internets and other using internet via Proxy. What Scopes of DHCP i need to Configure ..... How to manage diffrent gateways in scopes

Comment

Get a consultant!

In fact, get them to look at your whole environment and rationalise it
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I suggest you understand your network infrastructure and document them before any changes.
            Every environment is unique. How many subnets running in your environment? are all your routers VRRP? any vlan? how many domain controller, how many sites? be sure to check their replication after IP changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Get a consultant!

In fact, get them to look at your whole environment and rationalise it
              I was expecting a post which guide me in this task I am sure Its not difficult but proper steps with your expertise will resolve my Issue !

Replacing a subnet will be done....
              what about my DHCP query... Currently I am not using any DHCP server.

Comment

I believe if you read back to my Post #3 you will get some appropriate guidance, certainly enough to combine with your own research -- which I suggest you start with looking more into DHCP.

Tell us a bit more about your environment -- number of clients, subnets, routing etc -- and more advice will be given -- use it at your own risk as without a proper understanding of YOUR network, advice can only be general, hence my valid suggestion to get someone to spend the time (you spend the money) looking at your environment and giving you specific advice.
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

Number Of Clients: 250 (Currently 200 Desktops in use--- 50 will be installed in this next 2-3 Weeks)
                  Subnet: 192.168.0.1 To 192.168.0.254 / 255.255.255.0 (Looking to change in subnet only)

Using 3 ADSL Modem For Internet access (2 Modems configured for Proxy server 1 as main 2 as backup link) (3rd for few selected users who wants direct access)

Using a DHCP Can resolve the customize gateway to clients ?

Comment

What are you looking at changing the subnet to?
                    If you change it to a 23 bit then you shouldn't need to change anything except the DHCP scope. DG, DNS, Printers, Switches etc will keep the same IP, just change the Mask on any devices that have a Static IP.
                    If it is more complex than a 23 bit mask, there is an excellent guide HERE.

Originally posted by sunnys_111
                    Using a DHCP Can resolve the customize gateway to clients ?
                    What do you mean by this?
                    Last edited by biggles77; 15th April 2012, 11:10.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If you're going to expect DHCP to hand out different gateway info to different clients in the same DHCP scope, then you'll have to use either 'class' options, or reserved per-client options.

Class options are handed out to clients that have particular info they send to the DHCP server when requesting an ip. You set class values manually on the clients, and the server issues different values based on those class settings.

Reserving specific info on a per-client basis is more granular, but effectively does the same thing.

A different solution would be to define new scopes, each for one of the gateways, and use VLANs in your switching to differentiate the users. This will require a routing solution inside your network, but once set, simplifies your deployments now and in future.
                      *RicklesP*
                      MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by RicklesP View Post
                        If you're going to expect DHCP to hand out different gateway info to different clients in the same DHCP scope, then you'll have to use either 'class' options, or reserved per-client options.

Class options are handed out to clients that have particular info they send to the DHCP server when requesting an ip. You set class values manually on the clients, and the server issues different values based on those class settings.

Reserving specific info on a per-client basis is more granular, but effectively does the same thing.

A different solution would be to define new scopes, each for one of the gateways, and use VLANs in your switching to differentiate the users. This will require a routing solution inside your network, but once set, simplifies your deployments now and in future.
                        Mr Rickles, would you care to read the OPs posts and then think about what you are suggesting that he do.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

@Biggles77

Actually it means we having limited desktops so I was in plan to configure a DHCP but my Situation is little bit critical i guess...!

that is why I was looking like A DHCP server can provide different gateways to particular client if its not a good practice i would like to be with static IP setting !!!

Comment

Working...
                          X