Faster BRoadband

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster BRoadband

Someone is claiming when BT at last introduces fast broadband in an area such as mine, as a result of some use of fibre optic cable, many servers will demand you pay extra for a really higher speed. But I thought when many servers claim speeds of up to 20 Mps or more for a certain monthly fee, the same fee applies whatever speed you are lucky to get.

Re: Faster BRoadband

Haven't we been through this before Gordon?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I am not just concerned for myself, having been warned by my server they might ask more for certain increases in speed. Note below posted in a local forum. It would be interested to hear from any HOME user if they have been asked to pay more for a higher speed such as when some fiber optic cables are installed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are two ways to look at the fibre implementation currently happening:
      a) It will mean faster broadband services for customers who want to pay a premium for their service (it will also mean we can switch fixed telephone lines over to high quality internet based telecoms - Voice over IP or VOIP - which could benefit anyone who currently pays for multiple phone lines and all the add on costs)
      b) By customers moving across to fibre and off the old broadband system, this will also mean that more capacity should be opened on the old system.

However, having said all that, the old broadband system (which was actually a happy accident in its creation anyway and relies on the old telephone infrastructure) is unlikely to be improved once enough customers have transferred. Eventually all customers will be transferred across to fibre in years to come when the old infrastructure no longer becomes financially viable to maintain and fibre becomes standard technology (I suspect companies like BT will cease offering the traditional services before this happens so effectively you can't buy it any more and have to switch). I don't know the technical detail of the fibre optic used, but when it was first introduced in London years ago it was said to be almost maintenance free compared with traditional copper based cabling used in telecoms.

Personally, I would be happy paying a little more for fibre not only for improved broadband but so I can move my home/business phone across onto VOIP and save on the line rental for that phone.

Comment

I suspect BT will get you for the line rental regardless of how you use the phone. After all, they are running some sort of connection to your house.

If they move to fibre completely, they are unlikely to charge more for the service -- more likely to charge for data transfer rather than speed.
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Not so actualy. In future I will pay Orange only 13.50 for the line rental compared with 14.60 to BT plus 3 for 5741 answer phone sevice. Unlike BT the answer phone and call ID will be free under Orange, as I believe many other servers.

Comment

British Telecom
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X