Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP Changing on other systems

Hi,

can I change IP addresses and subnets on Other Connected system in My LAN, in one GO ?

Without using DHCP Server !

Re: IP Changing on other systems

what device are they? windows? router? switches?
    each device has it own set of IP command..

u can script it but i would suggest to do it manually... because even with scripting, if connection dropped, you cannot reach the remote host...

Comment

Yes - start with one device, move on to the next... do not pass go... do not collect $200...

As said, it depends on what the devices are, so more information please
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

netsh would do it.
        with ALOT Of scripting involved.

Question is, why would you not want to use dhcp to do this.. ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

At Current setup not using any DHCP server.
          200 Client desktops IP want to change.... Chnaging it manually its long tie process....!

Where will I get script any site suggetion.

not installing the DHCP.... not having any valid resone

Comment

you don't have a valid reason to install DHCP?
            Here's a valid reason. Managing 10 computers on static IP addresssing is a nightmare.
            Managing 200, without dhcp, is just dumb.

It's a waste of time, and leads to problems. This is exactly a valid reason why you should yuse DHCP - you want to change 200 computesr. you're facing a scenario where you have to either:

a) go to each computer, boot it up, change the address, reboot, test and confirm, then go to teh next one. Assume it even takes you only 90 seconds to do each computer, that's 5 hours.
            Assuming nothing goes wrong.

or
            B) write, and test, a script. Which, considering you're asking us for a script, is going to probably take you longer than 5 hours, to find, test, and ensure it works. And even then, there's be cases where it fails, and you have to go find that computer, and manually fix it.

compare that to having DHCP configured:

Sure, you're still going to need to reconfigure each computer to use DHCP.
            but if you had already done this (and basic sysadm 101 says you should) it would take you.. oh... 90 seconds, to update your dhcp scope, and another 5 minutes to push out a reboot script and rebooot all 200 computers.

in terms of scripts to do it, this script will change the IP address on the local computer, only. (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257748)

Code:
            netsh interface ip set address "Local Area Connection" static ipaddr subnetmask gateway metric
            You will obviously need to add in the IPADDR, subnet, gateway, and metric if required.

as I said. that'll work on one computer. to work on a remote computer, you'd use "netsh -r"
            you'd then need to iterate the script for each computer name.
            that script also assumes that each computer would have an interface named "Local Area Connection."
            and that you'd have admnistrative permission from your central computer, to each local computer.
            And there are no firewalls in the way.

I would estimate that you've already spent MORE TIME researching the internet, to find a "non-dhcp" way to do this, than you would have had to spend implementing DHCP.

and i'm also now thinking, either this is homework, or a study-based question, designed to see how you think, or you're trying to manage an already really badly designed and managed network.

Just in case I'm not clear. In this scenario, there is no good reason to NOT use DHCP, and about 300 (minutes!) reasons why you should.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Yes acceptable this suggetion and practical thinking !

if I configured DHCP in this, My connected system are already in static IP it means I have go to every PC to switch there network card setting to DHCP enable !
              can i cahnge this setting atleast in one go then atleast I can Go with DHCP server.

Comment

You can use a script to enable DHCP -- I suspect one of the first few hits here tells you how:
                http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy....,cf.osb&cad=b

Set up DHCP Server
                Run Script
                Sit back
                (Don't forget real "static" devices such as routers and printers)
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

oh....
                  finaly below mentioned script is helpful fro me !!!

Now I can setup the DHCP and will run this script on every PC using GPO

@echo on
                  echo Choose:
                  echo [A] Set Static IP
                  echo [B] Set DHCP
                  echo.
                  :choice
                  SET /P C=[A,B]?
                  for %%? in (A) do if /I "%C%"=="%%?" goto A
                  for %%? in (B) do if /I "%C%"=="%%?" goto B
                  goto choice
                  :A
                  @echo on
                  echo "Please enter Static IP Address Information"
                  echo "Static IP Address:"
                  set /p IP_Addr=
                  echo "Default Gateway:"
                  set /p D_Gate=
                  echo "Subnet Mask:"
                  set /p Sub_Mask=
                  echo "Setting Static IP Information"
                  netsh interface ip set address "local area connection" static %IP_Addr% %Sub_Mask% %D_Gate% 1
                  netsh int ip show config
                  pause
                  goto end
                  :B
                  @ECHO On
                  ECHO Resetting IP Address and Subnet Mask For DHCP
                  netsh int ip set address name = "LAN" source = dhcp
                  ipconfig /renew
                  ECHO Here are the new settings for %computername%:
                  netsh int ip show config
                  pause
                  goto end
                  :end
                  Script END!

Comment

Good!
                    If the script came from one of the links I posted, it would be polite to acknowledge that and add a URL to the source
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by Ossain
                      Yes - start with one device, move on to the next... do not pass go... do not collect $200...
                      Go directly to Jail. Do NOT pass Go and do NOT collect $200 as that seems like a criminal idea to me. (No certain Community Chest cards to be used either)

Why is there no DHCP involved in this process/operation? There has to be some reason even if it is not valid.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/320

How will my reputation point will increase ! But I would Like to Know about This

Increasing the Reputation is not important than resolving the issue...!!!

The person Who handled the Current IT Setup of the Client has left the organisation.... Its His fault he did not configured the DHCP.

That is why I Started My Post excluding DHCP !

Thanks to all this forum is the best One ...!!!!
                        Last edited by swapneel; 20th March 2012, 05:19.

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
                          Go directly to Jail. Do NOT pass Go and do NOT collect $200 as that seems like a criminal idea to me. (No certain Community Chest cards to be used either)

Why is there no DHCP involved in this process/operation? There has to be some reason even if it is not valid.
                          Lack of information from the OP, so ass-u-me-d all static devices (since presumably anyone with the slightest knowledge of DHCP would not ask such a question ) Later posts, of course, showed otherwise
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post

@ swapneel - Why is there no DHCP involved in this process/operation? There has to be some reason even if it is not valid.
                            Oops, it should have read as per the above edit in the quote.

Originally posted by swapneel
                            The person Who handled the Current IT Setup of the Client has left the organisation.... Its His fault he did not configured the DHCP.

That is why I Started My Post excluding DHCP !

Thanks to all this forum is the best One ...!!!!
                            So why not take some big steps and change the Static setup to a user friendly Dynamic one. DHCP is not rocket science.
                            1 1 was a racehorse.
                            2 2 was 1 2.
                            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by swapneel View Post

Now I can setup the DHCP and will run this script on every PC using GPO

I already mentioned Sir.
                              Last edited by swapneel; 21st March 2012, 05:45.

Comment

Working...
                              X