Where do I get my IP range from?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I get my IP range from?

Appreciate this may be a stupid question but pretty new to this..

Does this be provide by my internet provider? or is it readily available?

Any help much appreciated

Re: Where do I get my IP range from?

If it's a public IP you are after then yeah it needs to be your ISP. They usually charge these days for static V4 IP addresses though ? What is the reason you are asking for. You could use DynDNS to get past the static IP requirement.
    If it is for private networks you could use Private IP ranges freely available.
    Caesar's cipher - 3

ZKHQ BRX HYHQWXDOOB GHFLSKHU WKLV BRX ZLOO UHDOLVH LW ZDV D ZDVWH RI WLPH!

SFX JNRS FC U6 MNGR

Comment

Originally posted by L4ndy View Post
      If it's a public IP you are after then yeah it needs to be your ISP. They usually charge these days for static V4 IP addresses though ? What is the reason you are asking for. You could use DynDNS to get past the static IP requirement.
      If it is for private networks you could use Private IP ranges freely available.
      Im starting with a small company shortly who have little/no infrastructure so i am basically looking to see how I can get a static IP range in order to add servers, printers etc etc

This will be gained via the ISP then ?

Comment

No, for internal hosts you would use an ip address scheme of your own design, using ip addresses from the private allocation ranges designated in RFC 1918.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1918

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
          No, for internal hosts you would use an ip address scheme of your own design, using ip addresses from the private allocation ranges designated in RFC 1918.

Thanks for that Joe - really useful info

With my private network will I automatically recieve my 255 static IPs then?

The only hardware I require to run this is my provide ISP router?

Comment

You will receive as many static IPs as you want but they will be private to you, not shared with the internet
            Your ISP will give you one public IP (static if you ask -- and maybe pay -- for it)
            Your router will handle mapping from public to private IPs
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
            X