WI-Fi Password how it hacked

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WI-Fi Password how it hacked

As it is possible to get hacked Wi-fi Password , when guy finds neighbor's wifi SSID and trys to connect and provides passwords if correct then got connected , if not then no connection
    So when some trying to hack the password by some special cracking s/w , my question is as s/w has such signal that it will persuade the wifi router/device to provide the password or every frame is contained with password along the way traveling to the and from the wifi router ?
    OR maybe Someones who are authenticated users who know password and at time when they need to connect to the wifi router/device , and provide the correct password and when this password goes along the way , the hacker cracking s/w capture that
    Anyone who will help me clearing my concept
    thanks in adcance

Re: WI-Fi Password how it hacked

Should be easily found doing a search.
    WEP and WPA act very differently so you'll need to look up both. WPA is secure, WEP is not.
    http://palpapers.plynt.com/issues/20...ep-encryption/
    http://searchnetworking.techtarget.c...-and-WPA2-work

I should also note that if anyone has a WPS enabled router they should disable it ASAP as it is a poorly designed protocol and there's no way for it to be secured.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

WPA/WPA2 is not as secure as it used to be. (Remember when a WEP key would supposedly take 1,000 years to break but can now be done in under 2 minutes) You only need to record the handshake traffic between the AP and a client machine then you can take that home and brute force the encryption key. The brute force may take some time depending on the size of the key but it is quite doable if a small key is used.

I would suggest using the largest key possible and enabling MAC security as well. Doing this can be both positive and negative. On the positive it makes it just that wee bit harder to break into so the neighbour with the lesser security will be easier and mor appealing if the hacker is after a quick breakin. The negative can be that it offers a greater challenge so it more tempting by the more adventurous types. Then again, the 3 letter acronyms would be more appealing to those types of hackers.

There are two types of sites. Those that have been hacked and those that are going to be hacked.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        WPA/WPA2 is not as secure as it used to be.
        I'm going to have to disagree. WPA is and was only vulnerable to brute force attacks. A long passphrase with enough entropy should sufficiently secure it.

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
        ...MAC security as well.
        I assume you're referring to MAC filtering. The only use for this would be to make sure devices you control don't associate with the wrong AP. It really offers no security since changing the MAC address on a device is trivial. This would not stop even the least skilled cracker.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Would turning off DHCP and set a random range on your AP act as another defence?

Comment

Originally posted by 5habbaranks View Post
            Would turning off DHCP and set a random range on your AP act as another defence?
            Not really. A good hacker will be able to figure out the network in no time. What does help though is reducing the size of the network. IE rather than using your normal /24 from your router/DHCP consider making the network smaller. Maybe /28 depending on how many IP's you require.
            Likewise the frequency the AP is on is also immaterial. As long as the radio is on its broadcasting. Thus any receiver should be able to pick up the range and the SSID even if the name is being masked (which also doesn't help).
            WPA and WPA2 are more than strong enough for this task as the password is not sent in clear text over the wire like the old WEP hashes which were always inferior. Whilst its easy enough to brute force simple pass phrases ensure you use a strong password with a combination of numbers,capitals,and letters.

Comment

I use a very small subnet at home as well... (8 hosts)
              I use DHCP to assign IPs, but every IP is reserved to a MAC.
              My password isn't great, no numbers etc, but i'm sitting well back from the road, so the only concern might be other people in my apartment building.

I cna pick up 2 other networks from where I am, so I suspect it's not a strongly IT literate building.. :P
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
              X