Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POE phone creating bottleneck after recent network upgrade

Hey,

Where I work we recently made a major network infrastructure upgrade including fiber optics, brand new Cisco switches, and a lot more.

Although I found a flaw in our upgrade. Most of the users on the network have POE phones that are only 10/100. not 10/100/1000, so a lot of people aren't even going to see the change because their internet goes to their phone and then to their PC.

Whats funny is I am only a student intern and I discovered this before all the big wigs did.

but now I am trying to figure out a quick fix that's not going to take a lot of time or money. if anyone has any suggestions please throw them at me.

thanks!

Re: POE phone creating bottleneck after recent network upgrade

If the phone only supports 10/100 there isn't much you can do without upgrading the phone. The only other option is to run a separate line for the pc to give them gig ethernet access.

Tell you the truth most users wont even notice if you didn't tell them. They may notice access to internal resources is faster but really another bottleneck you have is your internet connection, unless you have a gig ethernet connection with your provider. There are many bottlenecks in a network. Routers, firewalls are all bottlenecks depending on the actual throughput they can handle. Just because you have a gig ethernet port does not mean you will have gig throughput. Depends on platform etc.
    Last edited by auglan; 3rd February 2012, 19:01.
    CCNA, CCNA-Security, CCNP
    CCIE Security (In Progress)

Comment

Re: POE phone creating bottleneck after recent network upgrade

Originally posted by Icarus_XI View Post
      Hey,

Where I work we recently made a major network infrastructure upgrade including fiber optics, brand new Cisco switches, and a lot more.

Although I found a flaw in our upgrade. Most of the users on the network have POE phones that are only 10/100. not 10/100/1000, so a lot of people aren't even going to see the change because their internet goes to their phone and then to their PC.

Whats funny is I am only a student intern and I discovered this before all the big wigs did.

but now I am trying to figure out a quick fix that's not going to take a lot of time or money. if anyone has any suggestions please throw them at me.

thanks!
      Its highly doubtful that an IP phone would create any bottle neck. Firstly voice traffic is more than likely on a separate VLAN. Likewise so will data. In addition whatever codec is being used for voice compression will not be more than a few KB at best. The fact the network is 1GB is academic as the phones are never going to use a fraction of the bandwidth and voice traffic will more than likely be QoS'ed as well. 10/100 is more than fine for most IP phones.
      Providing you have the infrastructure present to negotiate at 1GB there's not much you can do as that is a physical limitation. Plus it's more than likely only applicable to data on your scenario. Also it won't make any difference to internet connectivity.
      Last edited by scurlaruntings; 7th February 2012, 11:15.

Comment

Working...
      X