Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Access the Home DSL Router from public internet.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access the Home DSL Router from public internet.

Hello All,

I wan to access my home internet Router (Huwaei Echolife HG532b) from public internet. From LAN I can access it by http://192.168.1.1.

I know my public IP, but what setup has to be done inside the router (NAT, route..what is it?)

Please Help.
    Insaf Muhammed
    System Admin
    -----------------
    Never break four things in life: TRUST, PROMISE, RELATIONS & HEART. Cause when they break they don't make noise but pains a lot

Re: Access the Home DSL Router from public internet.

Some, not all, routers, allow access to the control panel from the internet -- typically over a non-standard port. RTFM for more info on your model
    Make sure that, if you enable this, you set a strong password

Alternatively you can remote into your home machine and then back out to the router
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Every Modem that I have seen that allows Remote Management (from the far side) runs on port 8080. I just checked mine and the port number cannot be changed.

I do NOT enable Remote Management but I use RDP and then access the Modem from the near side. Just one less interface to be a target for an attack.
      Last edited by biggles77; 24th January 2012, 15:40.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thank You All.

I still insist on getting access to my modem over the net.

I tried from internet like http://mypublicIP:8080, http://mypublicIP:80 (even tried to NAT- port forward port 80 and 8080 to local modem IP 192.168.1.1) ...no damn thing works. I am sure a work around is there and desperate to find it.

Keep helping..
        Insaf Muhammed
        System Admin
        -----------------
        Never break four things in life: TRUST, PROMISE, RELATIONS & HEART. Cause when they break they don't make noise but pains a lot

Comment

Have you looked in the router's web config?
          Or read the manual?
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

your router would have an optiin lkke"remotemanagement" that biggles mentioned.
            i know where and what mine is but that wont help you.

you will also likely not have much luck creating a nat entry to the inside interface - the routers are pretty good at nt allowing that to work any morw.
            Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
              Have you looked in the router's web config?
              Or read the manual?
              Hi Ossian,

I've been through the RTFM several times.....it's got nothing I want other than their big talks
              Insaf Muhammed
              System Admin
              -----------------

Comment

Well, from a quick read of said manual, it has a web config so have you looked there?
                Tom Jones
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

Comment

I just looked over all the screenshots over at portforward.com, as relevant to your model.
                  There was nothing I can see in those screenshots that would allow you to enable Remote Management.

this particular model just doesn't seem to support it.

As I mentioned earlier, consumer grade routers are normally setup to prevent you from making glaring security risks, or creating routing loops.
                  Therefore, I highly doubt you'll be able to get this to work.
                  If you port forward from the public interface, to the private interface, it's going to just drop the packet. It's a security feature.

The only thing I could think of, would be to use something else internally, that can then route it back again.. but that's making a stupidly confusing scenario, that's more likely to break, than actually help.

I suggest you let this one alone, and go buy a different router.
                  Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
                  X