Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPTP VPN work on XP but wont work on vista or windows 7

Hi

I have setup a pptp vpn on a draytek vigor 2820 it works perfectly on XP but when I try and connect using windows 7 or Vista i get an 807 error ?

I have turned the firewll off on the windows 7 machine and still no joy.

I have read that IP protocol GRE 47 needs to be enabled ? but that is vpn passthrough and the vigor is acting as the vpn server in this case...

any suggestions to get this up and running ....Ideally it needs to be working by next week tuesday... so have a few days to pull my hair out !!

Thanks all of you.... in advance
    Benjapos

MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 ITIL Practitioner, Prince2 Practitioner - working on 70-284

Re: PPTP VPN work on XP but wont work on vista or windows 7

I'd closely check all your settings... some of them have moved a little bewteen W7 and Wxp.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

ok , any suggestions ?
      Benjapos

MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291 ITIL Practitioner, Prince2 Practitioner - working on 70-284

Comment

Have you? (checked your settings)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

yes... the settings are correct -

I have tried disabling firewall, unchecking ipv6, various encvyption settings from optional to only secure...I have tried automatic detect tunneling type and specify pptp...

running out of settings to try and it all works fine on XP...? at the moment i am trying on windows 7...
          Benjapos

Comment

Re:SOLVED PPTP VPN work on XP but wont work on vista or windows 7

Ok, sorted... wierdly... on the draytek routers... you enable pptp, l2tp and ipsec three seperate check boxes... to open the protocols... so when i start this config... i enabled them all...

underneath it says if you uncheck them it enables vpn pass through ( the GRE 47 protocol i guess) as the site doesnt have a vpn server and draytek is doing the work i figured i wouldnt want vpn passthrough.... but i uncheck both ipsec and l2tp... and now it works ?!

Thanks
            Benjapos

Comment

I think it'll work if you re-enable IPSEC and L2TP but manually set the VPN type to PPTP on Vista and 7 clients. Those OSs try to autonegotiate VPN type, and PPTP is the last option. If L2TP was being answered but authentication failed that would stop it failing over to PPTP. Once you've successfully connected once it then defaults to the correct VPN type in future.
              BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
              sigpic
              Cruachan's Blog

Comment

its working but intermittently... can't get it to function on another windows 7 (64bit) and a mac... why would a vpn be sooo flaky ?
                Benjapos

Comment

Working...
                X