Multiple Email Addresses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple Email Addresses

For the second time over a year of so I have just tried again without succes to insert the details of a Yahoo email address into Outlook Express along with an old fsnet address with Orange. I did of course make the Yahoo address the default one for this test. First if failed to send out an email until I changed an outgoing port from 25 to 587, but then a silly box kept displaying demanding I change the address and password and refusing to accept it. This has happened sometimes with Orange because of some problem with the server, but if I close down Outlook Express, and try again some time again all is well, and I can then send and receive OK.

Should I have waited say an hour or two likewise with a Yahoo address, or could it be Orange object to me using another address along with one of theirs and are blocking the use of a Yahoo adress?

Re: Multiple Email Addresses

Does the account you are trying to send through require Outgoing Authentication?

Are you trying to send using a Yahoo account through your Orange connection? Some screenshots might help here Gordon, with the inapproprite info blanked out.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks. Yahoo does ask for requires authentication as you can see below in their instructions which I complied, and also showing is the current fsnet setup. The numbers were recommended in the outgoing because a number of Orange users had trouble using the words for wanadoo

http://www.sigord.co.uk/TEMP/POP%20Yahoo.pdf

I only have the Orange server connection even if I use Yahoo webmail on the Yahoo site, which does work OK of course and their mail is redirected to Outlook Express

Comment

Important: The Yahoo! Mail SMTP server now requires authentication. To turn this setting on:
        1. From the Tools menu, choose "Accounts."
        2. Select the "Mail" tab.
        3. Double-click the account labelled "pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk."
        4. Select the "Servers" tab.
        5. Check the box next to "My Server Requires Authentication."
        6. Click "OK."
        Click image for larger version

Name:	server-requires-authentication.png
Views:	1
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	466424

You have all the info required in your PDF compiltion. Once you have ticked the marked box on my image the Setting option then becomes available. Fill in the appropriate credentials and it should all work for you.

1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks I think I did that OK, I willhave another go sometime

Comment

You have to put in the correct authentication credentials. I think you may find you require the Orange (if that is your ISP) credentials and NOT your Yahoo ones. This is to prove to Orange that you are who you say you are and not a spammer using a Relay.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks are you saying I must continue to use all the existing Wanadoo entries at http://www.sigord.co.uk/TEMP/POP%20Yahoo.pdf but just change the email address to the Yahoo one? In other words all the Yahoo instructions shown do not apply in some UK cases like mine.

Comment

Can't say 100% for UK as I don't know how the setup runs there. I can only speak for how it is in OZ but I would assume that the same principal applies.

Just follow the instructions that Yahoo have provided and see if they work. When you send mail using the Yahoo account, they go out through the Orange ISP mail system. That is why you require the Outgoing Mail Server Authentication. Yahoo do NOT authenticate your mail except when you login, hence the Yahoo Username and Password.

As for Wanadoo, I have no idea about them and I am surprised that you have an IP entered in the SMTP field. Normally it is mail.fqdn.com or smtp.fqdn.com. This way the ISP (or who does the mail) can change Servers and the MX Record on their end to point to the new IP of the new Mail Server. If you have an IP entered then for everything to work they need to give the "new" Mail Server the same IP or get everyone to change their settings to reflect the new IP.

Someone who has an Orange account or knows how it is all configured really needs to refine the help now. I can only deal in generalities and not so much in specifics of the setup.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Can you please document the exact steps you are taking to get the account added.

It should be something as simple as adding another account and setting that as the defualt.

Comment

I used the Yahoo instructions exactly as stated at the foot of

http://www.sigord.co.uk/TEMP/POP%20Yahoo.pdf

This is the second time I tried it, after before some time ago. I suspect Orange hve a way of stopping using another account.

Comment

Did you tick My Server Requires Authentication and what authentication option did you choose?

You may have read the instructions Gorgon but you haven't let us know if you have implimented them as per your PDF file with the screenshots of your incorrectly configured account.

The screenshots can be directly uploaded to the site in .png format and it is not necessary to paste tem into a PDF file. It is only because you are a long time member that I risked opening the attached file. If you had less than 10 posts the file would have stayed shut as it may have contained malicious code.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I'm going to throw a curve ball here but which account are you trying to set the server autehntication on???

Your Yahoo account needs to be changed for it to work correctly. If your fsnet account is setup and working it should not need touched.

I don't have an Outlook express setup that i can show you.

Comment

Ok so i've created a new XPmode installation so i could try this out.

What i did was this

Open Outlook Express
                          Click on Tools, Accounts then click on the Mail Tab.
                          Click on Add then Mail.
                          Enter the display name - Wullie, then click Next
                          Enter the email address - [email protected], then click next
                          Enter the sending server and receiving server details then click next
                          Enter my Yahoo account username and password then click Next
                          Click on Finish.
                          Highlight the created account then select Properties
                          Click on the servers tab then put a tick in the box next to My server requires authentication. Click on OK then OK again and it should be setup and ready to connect to your Yahoo account to download mail.

Comment

Thanks for all your help guys. I will have a third attempt sometime. But I would be interested if anyone else has succeeded using Orange.

I Ideally I would like to close down my Orange fsnet address completely since I never now publicise it over the Iinternet and only use a Yahoo address. Orange mail is riddled with spam due to the multiple emails address system it inherited originally from Freeserve and Wanadoo.

So someone using an address such [email protected] is really using [email protected] much to the delight of spammers, who somehow even manage to send out spam using a variety of such addresses.

Comment

It really shouldn't matter who you send your email with as you're just connecting to a server out in the wild.

It may be that Orange have blocked the default port that you used so you may need to use the one provided in the doc you posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X