Connect to share folder from the Internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connect to share folder from the Internet

On my office LAN, I have one of my domain controllers acting as a file server. This file server holds all of my files and folder that I use for work. I have this set up as a shared drive letter "M" on my work computer. I would like to know how I can share this folder over the internet so I can connect to it from home just like i was sitting at my desk at work.

For security reasons, I am sure a VPN will be required but I have never set one up like this before and am looking for your direction.

Thanks,
    RC

Re: Connect to share folder from the Internet

yes - you'd need a VPN connection.
    (although I beleive some of the newer versions of Exchange allow file/folder access via OWA, I've never really looked into this)

you'll need to setup a VPN end point, on either one of your internal servers, or on your firewall. It's hard to say what would be the best option without knowing more about your infrastructure.

If you do set it up on an internal server, you'll need to at least pass the traffic through from the firewall/router anyway.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Just picking up on the point re Exchange -- 2007 did, 2010 doesn't, although the settings are still there to configure it.
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

That is what I was thinking. I am going to use the Windows 2003 server that is my fileserver and install the windows VPN (Control Panel-Add WIndows Component) that comes with 2003.

I guess my two questions are this:

1)When using the Wizard to set up the VPN during install, which VPN choice do I pick.

2)What port(s) do I need to forward on my router and point to my file server?

Thanks
        RC

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
        yes - you'd need a VPN connection.
        (although I beleive some of the newer versions of Exchange allow file/folder access via OWA, I've never really looked into this)

you'll need to setup a VPN end point, on either one of your internal servers, or on your firewall. It's hard to say what would be the best option without knowing more about your infrastructure.

If you do set it up on an internal server, you'll need to at least pass the traffic through from the firewall/router anyway.

Comment

Working...
        X