Diagnosing a strage internet problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diagnosing a strage internet problem

Yesterday we had a very strang internet problem at the office for about an hour, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a way to diagnose the problem if it will strike again.

I'll describe what happened:
    Internet sites did not come up at all. for example I tried loading google.com, but it just stayed on waiting for site to reply. however, ping to google.com was alright, even when I sent large packets (1024). also, everything else worked (Skype, extarnel exchange server, other messenging services). to see where the problome was (or to be more accurate, where it wasn't) I connected my laptop directly to the router (Checkpoint Sbox) and disconnected the switches so I was the only one connected to the router. the problem was still there.
    so I know it was either the internet connection or the Sbox.

from here, I was pretty much stuck. besided looking at cmd.exe netstat I did not know how to further diagnose the problem, which was eventually resolved itself.

is there any kind of tool that could help me see more information about the outgoing packets from the Sbox itself? I rather have something already installed, maybe a telnet command to the Sbox you know of?

Re: Diagnosing a strage internet problem

First thing to try is to get infront of the SBOX and see if the problem still occurs.

Did you try rebooting the SBOX to see if that cured the issue???

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
      First thing to try is to get infront of the SBOX and see if the problem still occurs.

Did you try rebooting the SBOX to see if that cured the issue???
      Yes, I rebooted the SBox several times. It booted, redialed to the internet, got it back to the same state where it seems that it does not forward http requests, or blocks outgoing port 80 packets.
      Thing is, these are just speculations, I want to know exacly where is the problem. do you know maybe if I can draw by SNMP details about outgoind packets? and sort them out by port?

Any other ideas would be appriciated too.

Comment

Sorry i've never used a SBox so can't help with that.

I'm presuming that this box is acting as your modem as well???

Comment

ok. you mentioned you could ping google.com - was that pinging via IP address?
          could you telnet to port 80 on a remote host?
          what about port 443, or other common ports such as 25?

what you'd need to do to capture it in future, is try running something like wireshark, to see what the packets are doing.however, you're going to want to spend some time learning about this, and how to interpret it, before the internet dies - if you don't know how to interpret it without the internet at the time, it won't help you much.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Working...
          X