Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Set up network between XP 2003 server enterprise edition and window xp

Hi,

I am still newbie in networking system. i have 2 operating systems Window XP 2003 server enterprise edition and window XP pro edition installed on virtualbox machine.

The IP on XP 2003 server is 192.168.8.30.
    i set up the DNS server and new domain, new user (Test) then i set up the DHCP and defined the IP address range from 10.10.10.10 to 10.10.10.30 on XP server 2003.

then i login successfully on my window xp pro by selecting the username "Test" and the domain which i have created.

But i got confused when i check the ipconfig on xp pro which give me an ip: 192.168.8.32 as still the same as before and didnt get an ip from the range between 10.10.10.10 till 10.10.10.30.

My question is that the IP should be between the range mentioned above and not 192.168.8.32.

what can i do to make the XP pro take automatically an IP from the range between 10.10.10.10 and 10.10.10.30.

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by e33; 20th November 2011, 18:48.

Re: Set up network between XP 2003 server enterprise edition and window xp

I suggest you go to DHCP on the 2003 machine and configure a scope based on the IP of your router.

You will also need to make sure your server has a static IP address in the correct network

Can you post an IPCONFIG/ALL from the server to give us a starting point

Also there are many online tutorials which will talk you through the process -- this is a good starting point:
    http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy....,cf.osb&cad=b
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I have a static IP on the server 2003.
      i have to configure a scope based ONLY on the IP of the router? cause the range of router is 192.168.8.1 till 192.168.8.255.
      So i cannot make a range from 10.10.10.10/30? but anyway why didnt take an ip from this range 10.10.10.10/30 cause already i put this range during configuration of the DHCP

Please find below:
      Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]
      (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.2003-64CC4F3743>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : 2003-64cc4f3743
      Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : ISA-SERVER.com
      Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
      IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
      WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
      DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ISA-SERVER.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
      Description . . . . . . . . . . . : AMD PCNET Family PCI Ethernet Adapter
      Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-27-BF-3C-52
      DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
      IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.8.30
      Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
      Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.8.1
      DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 127.0.0.1

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.2003-64CC4F3743>
      Thanks for the quick reply, and also for a link
      Last edited by e33; 20th November 2011, 19:08.

Comment

Suggest you set your DHCP scope to
        Range 192.168.8.100 to 192.168.8.200
        Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
        Gateway 192.168.8.1
        DNS Server 192.168.8.30
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I think you need to go and have a look at how DHCP workls and how to implement it

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc750190.aspx

From what i can gather from your post you want to have your clients on a 10 network but your server is on a 192 network. For this to wrok as expected you will need to implement VLAN's.

Else setup a DHCP server with you clients as well as your server on the 192 network and disbale the DHCP server on your router.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            Suggest you set your DHCP scope to
            Range 192.168.8.100 to 192.168.8.200
            Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
            Gateway 192.168.8.1
            DNS Server 192.168.8.30
            I have tried this, but i couldn't get on XP an automatic IP in the Range 192.168.8.100 to 192.168.8.200;
            The IP on XP still the same as before.
            Please find below the output of IPconfig/all on server 2003:
            Code:
            C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.2003>ipconfig/all
            Windows IP Configuration
               Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : 2003
               Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : ISA-SERVER.com
               IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
               Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
               Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-27-BF-3C-52
               DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
               IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.8.30
               DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.8.30
            C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator.2003>
            the output for IPconfig on XP is:
            Code:
            C:\Documents and Settings\administrator>ipconfig/all
            Windows IP Configuration
                    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : c-766aed
                    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                    Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
                    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 08-00-27-AB-F6-98
                    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
                    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
                    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.8.26
                    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.253
                    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : ***.196.16.5
                    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 21, 2011 7:21:27 PM
                    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:21:27 PM
            C:\Documents and Settings\administrator>
            I made a mistake somewhere, cause my XP is not getting automatically an IP from the range 192.168.8.100 to 192.168.8.200 as still the same

Comment

Your XP is getting an acceptabble IP address except for the DNS Servers
              This suggests your router is probably handing out IP addresses
              Can you post a screenshot of the DHCP Scope Options from your Server?
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                From what i can gather from your post you want to have your clients on a 10 network but your server is on a 192 network. For this to work as expected you will need to implement VLAN's.

Else setup a DHCP server with you clients as well as your server on the 192 network and disbale the DHCP server on your router.
                I will make some search on how to add a virtual network, then i will post the result.
                thanks guys

Comment

I appreciate your support Ossian, really thanks.
                  please find attached
                  Attached Files

Comment

OK, you will need to find 192.168.0.253 and stop it being a DHCP server
                    Alternatively find 192.168.8.1 and stop it being a DHCP relay agent
                    Tom Jones
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

Comment

please find a quick html on how i configure the DHCP on server 2003
                      http://www.4shared.com/file/bPAkncfv...gure_DHCP.html

Comment

OK, you will need to find 192.168.0.253 and stop it being a DHCP server
                        Alternatively find 192.168.8.1 and stop it being a DHCP relay agent
                        Ossian,

Can you give me please some advise how to stop 192.168.8.253 from being DHCP server?
                        and the same for 192.168.8.1 how to stop it for being DHCP relay agent?

thanks a lot for your help specially no one is paying for you to help the others.

Comment

No, because I don't know what they are -- 192.168.0.253 is the DHCP server the XP machine got its IP from and 192.168.8.1 is the gateway it uses. What sort of device is completely unknown. Sorry -- I would like to help!

Is there another network admin you can ask?
                          Tom Jones
                          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                          IT Trainer / Consultant
                          Ossian Ltd
                          Scotland

Comment

No, because I don't know what they are -- 192.168.0.253 is the DHCP server the XP machine got its IP from and 192.168.8.1 is the gateway it uses. What sort of device is completely unknown. Sorry -- I would like to help!

Is there another network admin you can ask?
                            I will make more search, but The IP Routing Enabled should not be :yes on XP?

Code:
                             C:\Documents and Settings\administrator>ipconfig/all
                            Windows IP Configuration
                                    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : c-766aed
                                    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                            Last edited by e33; 22nd November 2011, 04:45.

Comment

Hi,
                              Now it is working fine but with a range in 192. and didnt work with a range of 10.
                              i just enable and disable the DHCP and few click and suddenly it took the address from the range which i provided, i don't know.
                              now, after working fine, if i write ipconfig on server 2003, it just show me only one IP which the one of the server, what about the IP of window, it should not appear also there? i mean IP for the internal LAN.

Sorry guys, just not familiar with networking, it might be that wrongly thinking.

regards

Comment

Working...
                              X