Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Windows RDP as secure and private as VPN?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Windows RDP as secure and private as VPN?

While virtual private network is usually set up for remote access, I would like to seek opinion whether Windows Remote Desktop Access is as secure and private. I suppose they are so I wonder why only VPNs are used for business servers.

Please comment!

Re: Is Windows RDP as secure and private as VPN?

The company I work for developed a remote access policy which mandates things like minimum encryption methods along with specifying multi-factor authentication for all remote access into our network.

The later versions of RDP suport 128bit encryption, but this protocol by itself does not meet our "written" remote access policies. So we use VPNs to front end remote-access to meet the requirements stated in policy. Basicially, if a server has RDP enabled (and not all of our servers have RDP enabled), we would access this server via RDP after establishing a VPN tunnel.

Comment

Thanks for the information.

I had tried to google "RDP VPN difference" but didn't get any useful information.

Having received your response, I tried to google "compare RDP VPN". I then found more information that interested me.

What you said has reinforced what I have found. I thank you very much.

Comment

Port 3389 is pretty much the first port any hacker would consider attacking, and with so many companies not implementing account lockout policies you can make a server vulnerable to a brute force attack.

We normally deny dial-in permission for the builtin administrator account and use PPTP VPNs for remote access.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
          Port 3389 is pretty much the first port any hacker would consider attacking.
          Thank! I usually change the default port number though it might not be safe still.

Comment

Working...
          X