• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPN 2MB Internet 512Kb

Hi to all folks !
    I have no such advanced knowledge in networking
    and Here is my scenario.
    I have site A, site B, site C connected to internet with ISP's (the city is different but the ISP company is same)
    each one has 1MB , 512Kb and 256Kb of bandwidth connection
    and have VPN Connection (router used is pfsense).
    what i want to accomplish is have 2MB for VPN Connection and for internet 1MB, 512Kb and 256Kb.
    I talked with the guys at ISP's and they told me that we need to have a separate link for VPN the current infrastructure won't work that way and we need a CISCO router pfsense won't work.
    so i'm preety tangled with this networking stuffs.
    i would appreciate if anyone could uncover my situation
    with thanks
    omiz
    Attached Files

Re: VPN 2MB Internet 512Kb

I'm not familiar with pfsense so I can't tell you if they'll work or not. I can tell you that it shouldn't matter to the ISP what devices you use for for the VPN.

However, I don't understand what you're trying to do. What do you mean by "2MB VPN?"
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
      I'm not familiar with pfsense so I can't tell you if they'll work or not. I can tell you that it shouldn't matter to the ISP what devices you use for for the VPN.

However, I don't understand what you're trying to do. What do you mean by "2MB VPN?"
      Hi JereMyW Thanks
      what i mean is i have 1MB, 512KB and 256 KB of internet connection in Site A B and C. But i want is the VPN connection between site A,B & C to be 2MB. (only the VPN between site A, B & C should be of 2MB the connection while the connection to the internet should be to there default value 1MB, 512Kb and 256Kb since VPN (tunneling) is done through Internet and the internet link is of 1MB, 512Kb and 256Kb. i now think it might be impossible to create vpn (Only VPN link between sites A, B, C not internet Access like www.petri.com, wwwgoogle.com ) of 2MB.
      i hope you got me now
      thanks
      omiz

Comment

If you add up the numbers, you don't get to 2Mbit, so not sure how you expect that VPN speed without buying more bandwidth?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Do you have 3 Internet connections at each site or just one connection at each site?

Is it:
          Site A has 1MB, 512Kb and 256Kb
          Site B has 1MB, 512Kb and 256Kb
          Site C has 1MB, 512Kb and 256Kb

or is it:
          Site A has 1MB
          Site B has 512Kb
          Site C has 256Kb
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
            Do you have 3 Internet connections at each site or just one connection at each site?

Is it:
            Site A has 1MB, 512Kb and 256Kb
            Site B has 1MB, 512Kb and 256Kb
            Site C has 1MB, 512Kb and 256Kb

or is it:
            Site A has 1MB
            Site B has 512Kb
            Site C has 256Kb
            Hi Jeremy sorry i missed your last post.
            yes it's
            Site A has 1MB
            Site B has 512Kb
            Site C has 256Kb
            thanks
            omiz

Comment

VPN connection should be of 2MB between sites A, B & C.
              Where as to the rest of the internet it should be 1MB, 512kb and 256kb (This is the bandwidth we pay for, we do not want to upgrade our whole b/w to 2MB just for VPN and increase cost)
              i.e. create VPN Tunnel 2MB and internet Tunnel remain same 1MB, 512Kb,256Kb
              and the isp guys says we need another separate vpn connection of 2MB.
              or a cisco router in each site that works on L3
              I'm really messed up, neither get head nor tail out of it.
              please help me get out of this confusion
              with thanks
              omiz

Comment

basically, yes, you would need to purchase an additional 2MB connection, at each site.

If you speak to the ISP, they should be able to provide you with a specific private circuit between each of the sites.
                Youw ould need a proper router though.
                they can normally throw that in, for a bit more, and manage it
                Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                  basically, yes, you would need to purchase an additional 2MB connection, at each site.

If you speak to the ISP, they should be able to provide you with a specific private circuit between each of the sites.
                  Youw ould need a proper router though.
                  they can normally throw that in, for a bit more, and manage it
                  hi tehcamel thanks for the response.
                  currently we're connected via wireless network with ISP.
                  do you mean that we need to run another separate wire/link for VPN.
                  thanks
                  omiz

Comment

yes, you need a separate connection.

If you want a 2MB VPN connection, then you must have at LEAST A 2MB network connection for this VPN to work over.

I'll try and put this another way.

At the moment, Site A has a 1MB connection, and site B has a 512K connection.

Let's replace this with, say, a Liter of water.
                    SiteA has 1L bucket, and site B has a Half liter bucket.

You now want to put 2 Litres of water into each bucket.
                    You can't.

Thus, you need at least another 2 Litre bucket at SiteA, and Site B.

(In fact, if you want a 2MB link between A and B, and another 2Mb between A and C, and another betwen B and C, you probably need a 4MB connection at each)
                    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

omiz,

a VPN uses your existing untrusted WAN connection to tunnel encrypted traffic to another location, giving you a virtual private network. Because it uses your existing connection, it can only be as fast as that connection. So if you want a 2Mb VPN connection, your Internet connection needs to be 2Mb.

It sounds like the ISP is talking about setting up a point to point connection. This is not a VPN. Since it doesn't go over an untrusted network there's no need to configure a VPN. These point to point connection are usually more expensive than increasing your bandwidth to the Internet.

I think your best option is to increase your Internet connection bandwidth and then setup a VPN between the offices. Remember that your VPN connection speed will only be as fast as the slowest Internet connection speed of the two endpoints.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                        now i'm clear about it.

Comment

Glad to help.