MAC Code

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAC Code

I am of course aware we need to obtain the current MAC code to pass onto a new server when changing server. I understand a MAC only lasts for some 30 days. So what happens when someone either sells a property or stops using any broadband ?

What if someone else wants to sigh up with a new server after several months or years, but does not know which server was being used in the past or even when?

Re: MAC Code

uhm.. I'm not quite sure what you're talking about here?
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Are you aware you cannot change your Broadband server even if your contract has run out, unless you get them to send you your current MAC code to pass onto a new server? Although I understand the code is only valid for around 30 days.

Or are you saying I posted this in the wrong section ?

Comment

I had to look up MAC code since I've never heard of it.
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migrati...orisation_Code

So from the article it seems that you request a MAC code only when you need to move your line. The code is to facilitate the migration. Otherwise it's not needed.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I would start by checking who you are paying money to each month!

Tehcamel,
          he means the code you need to switch ADSL from one ISP to another -- you ask the old ISP for it and give it to the new one
          All ISPs have a procedure to get hold of a line if it is ADSL enabled but not in use
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I believe all servers have to pay BT to find the MAC code which is why I undestand they have to charge us, such as if one wishes to change server, or they get a new customer.

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
              I believe all servers have to pay BT to find the MAC code which is why I undestand they have to charge us, such as if one wishes to change server, or they get a new customer.
              What do you mean by "servers have to pay?" How can a server pay? Maybe this is UK terminology???

BTW - from the wikipidia article it says that the ISP must provide you the MAC code free of charge... I'm not in the UK so I really don't know how this works and am curious.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

For "server" read ISP

AFAIK, as long as you are outside a contract period, they cannot charge you to leave an ISP, and must provide a MAC code on demand.

btw, is this a real issue, or hypothetical?
                Tom Jones
                MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                IT Trainer / Consultant
                Ossian Ltd
                Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I think you find UK servers have to pay BT a lot for all sorts of services. When you opt to pay your server for phone calls or use of the landline all maintained by BT, who do you imagine pays BT for their work and to pay their Engineers? You do through the server.

Likewise when a server needs to tinker or add some equipment to improve broadband in you area I bet they have to pay BT again.

Correct me someone if I am wrong, someone has to pay BT if you do not pay them directly.

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                    For "server" read ISP
                    Ah, so it's not a box with CPU, RAM, etc giving money to some company. Makes sense now.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I think the normal model is BT provide the infrastructure (from the home to the Exchange and then to various internet "pipes" and sell services to the ISPs at wholesale prices. They offer you a product but really it is run and owned by BT.

In some areas ISPs can provide their own direct service to the home
                      Tom Jones
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

Comment

Working...
                      X