No announcement yet.

Private Vlan or Protected Vlan

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Private Vlan or Protected Vlan

I've tryed with some cheaper switch from Allied Telesis this schema using Protected Vlan. The problem I've encounter is than with Protected Vlan you can't define vlan's and only the traffic for vlan 1 is passing throw the switches.

I've been reading some articles and if I understand well I should need some switch with Private Vlan. Is this correct ? If yes if we suppose a second hand switch with only 2Gb ports should be enough, what switch should I've to buy ? For what I know at least a 3560.

If we decide to buy a new switch what model of switch do we need ?

To finish it's possible with this switch to limit the traffic on the vlan 1 to be only a PPOE traffic ?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Last edited by Wired; 25th July 2011, 15:58. Reason: removed extra link

Re: Private Vlan or Protected Vlan

the 3560 switches are great edge switches, although if money is a factor, look into the hp gigabit switches. they also have poe as well. i had a non-poe gigabit switch quoted to me from vology under $1000. i can create vlans and tag the vlans (IEE802.1q) to communicate across to the other connections.

i think you should focus on making your network more uniform rather than having different devices and making them communicate.