Duali Nic's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duali Nic's

I have a PC connected to the internet on a completeley different network to my local LAN. Is it possible to bung another network card into the PC, give it a local IP & access files on the local network or will I need to do something else to get both networks seeing each other?

Re: Duali Nic's

Essentially yes, just be careful with default gateways.

Begs the question why?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Dual Nic's

We receive emails from a client which are encrypted using a digital outlook certificate. For some reason something is happening to the encryption certificate on each emails making the signature invalid. I traced this back to out email service provider.

Until I can get to the bottom of this as a work around I set a PC up with a pop email account going through a different service provider (different ADSL line) & set the encryption certificate up on this machine so we could still be able to send / receive emails.

So the emails are now being received outside of our LAN and I wanted a way of copying the emails onto the network.

My thought was to put x2 network cards in the PC to get it talking to both networks but Im not having much luck. Heres MY details

NIC1 internet access

IP: 62.3.211.190
      MASK: 255.255.255.248
      GAT: 62.3.211.186
      DNS1: 212.139.132.5
      DNS2: 212.139.132.22

NIC2 LAN

IP: 192.168.2.82
      MASK: 255.255.252.0
      GAT: 192.168.2.58
      DNS1: 192.168.2.4
      DNS2: 192.168.2.5

Anyone know how to get this working?

Comment

Re: Dual Nic's

Remove the gateway from the LAN NiC

What problems are you actually having?
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The config I currently have is:

NIC1 internet access

IP: 62.3.211.190
          MASK: 255.255.255.248
          GAT: 62.3.211.186
          DNS1: 212.139.132.5
          DNS2: 212.139.132.22

NIC2 LAN

IP: 192.168.2.82
          MASK: 255.255.252.0
          GAT: none
          DNS1: none
          DNS2: none

The problem Im having is I cant see anything on the 192.168.xxx.xxx network range.

Comment

I've finally managed to get it working. I had plugged the network cable on NIC2 into a faulty port on the switch which is why it wouldnt work.

Its now working like a dream.

Thanks

Comment

Well done!
              Amazing how often software problems become HW ones

btw, you will probably need to restore the DNS server (internal ones) on Nic2
              Tom Jones
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

Comment

Working...
              X