No announcement yet.

proxy security?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• proxy security?

Hi everyone,
    I'm about to ask an incredibly newbish question, so apologies in advance. I felt General Networking was the best place to ask this question, but feel free to move this topic if there's a more appropriate sub-forum available.

My apologies for the lengthy explanation, but the setup for the question requires some back story. I'll try to be as brief as possible:
    I work for a large organization with many remote offices. Our Internet connection remains saturated 24/7. I recently downloaded the Squid proxy software and installed it on an under-utilized server at a remote site that has an incredibly fat (or is that phat?) pipe. I've set up my machine and a couple of other test machines to utilize this proxy, and it works FANTASTICALLY. In fact, it seems to work TOO well. My download speed went from 0.24Mbps to 13.53Mbps.

Should I be doing something to secure this proxy? I'm using Squid straight out of the box (which, if I understand correctly, simply uses ACL's to direct local subnets to the proxy host's default gateway, which is exactly what I want to do). The proxy host is behind our firewall, so I assume everything is getting filtered accordingly. I'm not a networking guy, so I don't really have an in-depth understanding of such things.

I want to make sure I'm not doing something completely stupid and opening our network to intrusion. But that's such a vague question, I don't really know what to ask to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

Help? (If applicable?)

Re: proxy security?

I would presume your SQUID proxy is sitting behind a firewall so it will have te same security measures as any other device on the network.

Either that or i've picked you up wrong.