No announcement yet.

Cloud provider network?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloud provider network?

How do most companies that offer virtual servers on a large scale setup their network?

Here is what I'm working with right now:
    (2) Sonicwall NSA240 (fail-over). Dual WAN that load balance outbound connections
    (2) 24port cisco switches that support jumbo frames & vlans
    (4) HP Proliant servers with 4-5 nics per server.
    (1) HP P2000 G3 iSCSI SAN.

With our current setup of about 10 virtual machines I have been creating seperate VLANs. This segregates the traffic and makes it where the virtual machines cannot see each other at all. But if we grow to say 100 clients then we would have 100+ virtual machines. Would I continue to create that many VLANs or is there a better way to do this.

Keep in mind we don't want to purchase a firewall and switch for each client. This is why I'm taking advantage of VLANs. Please let me know if there is a better or more "best practice" way of offer virtual terminal servers to clients.
    Last edited by jddixon; 15th June 2011, 18:01. Reason: Original post to long and confusing

Re: Cloud provider network?

I think most large scale virtual server operations use IIS as a backbone. Maybe you should try IIS

Re: Cloud provider network?

just jk. I think what you are asking is, "How do most companies that offer virtual servers on a large scale setup their network?" Do they assign a different VLAN in ESXi for each client? Well, if you have 200 clients, and a VLAN for each client in ESXi, that would be ok, but it doesn't look like ESXi is designed to use that many or more VLAN's. It's a big cluster when you look at them from ESXi, so I'm not sure if that's the right way to set it up.