Bridge Wifi Router?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge Wifi Router?

Got a Belkin N300 802.11n. It has 1 WAN and 4 LANs. I have a dialup connection that I would like to distribute to 2 devices. Using LAN 1 to host computer LAN and out on LANs 2 and 3 to the devices. Step by step instructions would be nice as I have very little know how on this subject. Thanks in advance!

Re: Bridge Wifi Router?

What OS is the host computer using?
    If it is XP there is something called "Internet Connection Sharing" and IIRC Vista and 7 have an equivalent
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Using xp sp3 and here are the instructions that don't want to work for me.

Using dial-up and a router
      OK, lets set you up with a network running a router and dial-up

-First thing you need (and if you're reading this- then you already have it) is
      a dial-up computer and a desire to run a network.

-Second a router

-Third is a couple of lan cables

-Fourth is a lan connection in your computer (a over-sized phone plugin)

OK, have all that - good.
      ----We're going to the router ----

- After being aware of a flaw in my thinking (happens) I need to explain a little here. The "WAN port" is the built
      it port used for high-speed internet. "This" setup is very slow-speed and this port is never, and never will be
      used for dial-up. This installation turns off the WAN with settings so that the computer carries the functions
      of routing, DHCP, and internet connection. Do not plug anything into the WAN- use the numbered ports. This being
      said, you can chain more routers up (using the numbered ports and different ip's on each router) by these
      settings if you need more ports.

-First plug it into your computer and port 1 on the router EDIT: (You will never use the WAN port in this installation)

-Second, you need to log onto it by typing 192.168.0.0, 192.168.1.1, or
      whatever your manual says the ip is and use the default user/password for your router

-Third it will probably want to run a wizard to help you connect but since
      we're not using a high-speed connection this will be useless and you
      need to exit this- trust me

-Fourth Find the "wan" setup and set it to others"pptp for europe...." with
      manual or no reconnect for the options at the bottom

-Fifth save this- if it says you need ip or user then make it up since we're
      using this setting to turn the high-speed "wan" port off ie.ralph as user
      and 192.133.2.2for the ip

-Sixth Find "dhcp" or lan ip setup and un-click the option to "use router as dhcp server

-Seventh change the lan ip to 192.168.0."any number between 2-200" I
      suggest 10 or 100 so it's easy to remember and save

-Eighth type the lan ip you just made into your browser to log back in and

Any suggestions or more details I could try?

Comment

Try the procedure here:
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306126
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Thanks but, already had that page bookmarked. Was helpful but not what I'm looking for. Want to use router as a bridge for my dialup connection to connect 2 different devices.

Comment

Working...
          X