• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win7 PC's losing internet on domain

Hi all,

ok, here's a good one for the real pro's out there:

client-server domain:
    out of approx. 45 client pc's authenticated on the domain network some of these keep losing internet connection, however they are still connected to the network and email functionality is fine.
    We have 6 designers who all work locally rather than RDS. Geographically they are all in the same area. When this issues happens it often (but not always) affects them all for a similar period of time.
    Their network connections pass-through our LG phone system as they are connected via PoE switches, so that the cat5e cable goes from pc > phone > floor plate > PoE switch > gigabit switch > servers.
    As a test i took one pc connection and routed it straight into the floor plate, thus by-passing the LG phone and switch. This floor plate goes into a completely different switch, yet is still suffers intermittent internet issues.
    All our ports were fluke tested and the failed ones have been replaced and now achieve good passes.
    The only common denominator 'seems' to be that it affects windows 7 pro x64 machines. However, just about everybody else work via RDS so they wouldn't necessarily know if their (mainly xp pro) desktop was losing internet connection.
    I can't make head or tail of it, as its seems so random.
    I do think that it affects the designers in the same area purely because they all work locally on win7 machines.
    Other than that i'm at a loss. I've had the same issue with my 7 pro x64 pc and i'm on a different floor to them.
    When this happens i cannot ping websites by Name or IP, so that rules out DNS issues (i think).
    I've yet to check the event logs as the designers growl at me when i try to get near their computers.

Anyone got any ideas what could be going on? I'm the sole I.T. admin in the company and as much as i know (or don't know compared to others) i'm at a loss.
    so any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Re: Win7 PC's losing internet on domain

A reboot fixes it doesn't it.
    Do they have any file in the root of their Home Folder? If so, empty the Home Folder root of all files and see if that helps.

If it happens again, do an IPCONFIG /ALL . Anything there?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
      A reboot fixes it doesn't it.
      Not necessarily, it's random so reboot could just be a coincidence

Do they have any file in the root of their Home Folder? If so, empty the Home Folder root of all files and see if that helps.
      Huh?
      My docs are redirected to a dataserver via group policy. Can you be more specific with what you mean please?

If it happens again, do an IPCONFIG /ALL . Anything there?
      Ipconfig has always shown what i expect to see, correctly assigned IP, DNS, DHCP server et al.

Hence such confusion.

Comment

My issue seemed to have been caused by a file in the root of the user's Home Folder. You know, click on H: there are files and folders. Take files and put them into a folder; Home Folder root now empty.

Your problem was different to mine. When I did an IPCONFIG /ALL there was nothing there. Device Manager said all was ok. Event Viewer had no issues BUT the NICs were all offline. Cleared the Home Folder root of all files and so far it hasn't gone "offline".

When YOU lose network connectivity, what have you tried?
        Ping lopback?
        Ping Server, DG, external IP
        Ping FQDN or local hostname?
        Tracert?
        etc
        etc
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
          Ping lopback?
          Ping Server, DG, external IP
          Ping FQDN or local hostname?
          Tracert?
          etc
          etc
          All internal networking is fine, but pinging external IP's or websites fails.
          Not tried tracert but surely that will fail too if it can't ping anything.

Comment

Are you allowed to ping through your router???

Sounds suspiciously like firewall rules blocking ICMP packets.

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
              Are you allowed to ping through your router???

Sounds suspiciously like firewall rules blocking ICMP packets.
              At random times?
              And not to all pc, only win7 ones, and then not always all at the same time. Totally random.

Comment

Originally posted by k.jacko View Post
                All internal networking is fine, but pinging external IP's or websites fails.
                Not tried tracert but surely that will fail too if it can't ping anything.
                Ok, just to be clear. Can you ping internally? The part of you quote that I bolded is a bit unclear.
                What web browser are you using?
                Are you running a Proxy?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

When one of the pc's loses internet connection, it still has local network services.
                  When it loses internet (IE, i'll try pinging google by IP and by name and both fail.
                  Internal pings are fine.
                  When internet is fine, i can ping goole by IP and name without problem.

No proxy is involved.

Comment

When it goes down next time, change the Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8. Only temporarily. Do a ipconfig /flushdns and then test.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
                      When it goes down next time, change the Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8. Only temporarily. Do a ipconfig /flushdns and then test.
                      Ok, thanks, i'll try it.
                      Currently ALL pc's collect their IP and DNS automatically, as most domain clinet do.
                      So i'll manually apply 8.8.8.8. and do what you suggest.

What are you expecting this to prove/disprove with this?

Comment

Originally posted by k.jacko View Post
                        What are you expecting this to prove/disprove with this?
                        If you think about what is being changed (DNS) then it may give you an idea.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

When you do ipconfig /all - do you by any chance see two DEfault gateways?

Do you have the Bonjour service installed? (or a service called ##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762# #.)

?
                          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Hi all,
                            sorry its been so long, but been on other things.
                            the problem is still here.

Virtual, your idea of changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8?
                            I haven't tried, but that's googles dns isn't it?

I certainly can't ping it, but then if i'm still using our own dns which is possibly at fault then i don't suppose i would.

However i'm running a ping 8.8.8.8 -t whenever i lose internet connection. So i can time when it goes off and comes back on, to try and form a patten.

There are no obvious entries in the event logs for either my pc or the DC (under DNS etc).

I've set GPO to turn off all firewalls on win7 pc's, but its made no difference.

Our router/firewall is a Draytek Vigor 2820n if that helps.

So....any other suggestions/theories?

Comment

Originally posted by tehcamel View Post
                              When you do ipconfig /all - do you by any chance see two DEfault gateways?

Do you have the Bonjour service installed? (or a service called ##Id_String2.6844F930_1628_4223_B5CC_5BB94B879762# #.)

?
                              Nope, only the one gateway.
                              And no, idon't have Bonjour service installed, or that string.

Comment

Working...
                              X