No announcement yet.

VLAN's questions

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLAN's questions

Hey all,

I am trying to learn about VLAN's but think I am confusing myself more than anything.

A little background:

What we are trying to do is to use VLAN's to provide 'guest' internet to wireless devices without deploying more access points.

We have our internal LAN with internet and a secondary DSL line, we would like to use AP's that has the ability to broadcast multiple SSID's. If the user has credentials for the internal network he/she will be placed on the the internal network if not then they access the guest network and use DSL.

Is that the proper way to look at this?

What I am not sure about is how to do the tagging/untagging portion of the switch and firewall.

Our network currently just utilizes the Default VLAN on all our switches, will I need to change this? I would probably just split the switch that the AP is plugged connected to into 2 VLANS. The default and VLAN 20. Can I just leave the SSID for the internal network on VLAN 1 and tag the port that the access point is plugged into to both VLANs? Then assign the SSID of the public network to 20 and the corporate one to VLAN 1.

Would I need to setup VLANs on our corporate firewall? (Currently none are configured)

Let me know if I need to provide more info. (Diagrams, switch models, etc...)

Thanks in advance for your help,

Re: VLAN's questions

Depending on your firewall and access points will determine on how you configure it so having these details handy will help.

As for the configuration side of it i've got a similar setup in our office in Australia and i had to create 2 VLAN's attached to the WLAN port and assign one to the corporate network and another to the guest network.

I have them connected to a dumb switch and have no VLAN tagging on the switch.

This switch is not connected to our internal network in anyway.

We are using a SonicWALL 4060 and SonicPoints for this.