Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Subnets, VoIP, one physical LAN. Help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Subnets, VoIP, one physical LAN. Help!

Hello,

This is probably quite trivial but I would like some assistance. My company has a single physical LAN with unmanaged gigabit switchs, 4x 48-port switches to be precise.

Now everyone and everything is plugged into these. We have a AD 2008 domain setup with provides DNS and DHCP for 192.168.0.1 /24. All this is fine.

We recently had a VoIP company come in and install equipment and phones. That's also running off our physical LAN but using a different subnet 10.0.2.1 /24

At the moment I am unable to connect to the VoIP management system without changing my PC's IP to 10.0.2.253 (or something in that range unused). As they're on the same physical LAN and not seperated by a router how would I go about this? Also, if and when the subnets can talk, how can I limit each services DHCP servers to their own equipment?

I'm guess I need to widen the subnet mask to 255.255.254.0 but would like some advice.

Thanks Guys!

Re: Two Subnets, VoIP, one physical LAN. Help!

Id' talk to the voip company and find out how the voip stuff is being addressed.
    You also need to check into whether thye are vlan-tagging stuff.

Apart from that, you could just take a couple of PCs or servesr (say, your own) and give them an ip address in both ranges
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

To solve your immediate problem connecting to the VoIP management system, simply add a second IP to your ethernet adapter (but don't assign a second gateway).

As for putting both systems on the same network, I would suggest you to not use this setup as you'll have a mess of traffic. Best to setup two different networks or do some vlans.

Comment

If I was to put a second NIC in a server on the VoIP Subnet, would I be able to add a static route to all the PC's (GPO) to route all traffic to 10.0.2.1 /24 through the server on it's 192.168.0.1 /24 address?

Comment

you'd also need to install RRAS.
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by Spuddy View Post
            If I was to put a second NIC in a server on the VoIP Subnet, would I be able to add a static route to all the PC's (GPO) to route all traffic to 10.0.2.1 /24 through the server on it's 192.168.0.1 /24 address?
            Add a single static route on the default gateway, don't add it to all PCs.
            BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
            sigpic
            Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
            X