Shares and File Hierarchy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shares and File Hierarchy

I put a new network in for a customer last month and imported the old file structure and recreated the shares. There are about eight shares all nested below each other with an assortment of file permissions.

The hierarchy seems more difficult to manage with this type of structure. Would it not be better to hang all the shares off the root or a parent folder? There are about 12 shares in total.
    Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Re: Shares and File Hierarchy

That's the way we tend to do it.

Comment

Agreed. I recently installed a new storage server and took the opportunity to move 'nested' shares so they came off the root. Much easier to manage and to troubleshoot.
      A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Another yes here, I just did an SBS migration and the shares for Sage Accounts and a few other things were nested within the Company Shared Folder. I moved them all to seperate folders on the new server to ease admininistration in the future.
        BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
        sigpic
        Cruachan's Blog

Comment

I favour grouping "shares" by category and having them as subfolders of a single share for each category. For instance, the Technical share contains IT, Quality, Maintenance, the Admin share contains HR, Accounts, Purchasing etc. Greatly cuts down on the number of drive letters required for shares and IMO makes life simpler, you just need to set the permissions correctly. Access Based Enumeration is handy too.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

The number of drive letters does not need to reflect the actual number of shares if you use DFS.

I have about 60 shared folders, and 10 DFS namespace folders that group the shares according to function.
            A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Thanks for all the feedback. I met with the customer and we are going to move seven shares to a root folder.
              Network Engineers do IT under the desk

Comment

Working...
              X