No announcement yet.

4 or 6 utp 5e in a trench

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 or 6 utp 5e in a trench

I need to pass 4 utp 5 cables between my garage ( computer shop) and my house, I need 4 of them because they are 4 different subnets, I already have 2 in pipe with a distance of 12 inch. between the pipes, but this time I would like to put 4 or 6 of them in the same tubing, do you thing I will have crosstalk between them? It’s a distance of 40’ feet

Re: 4 or 6 utp 5e in a trench

IMHO, over 40 feet it is unlikely to be an issue (think of the bundles of cables around comms rooms of large buildings, for example. Earthing is going to be more of an issue -- IIRC you may have problems if the garage is separately earthed from the building, but I cannot remember the exact problem.

Thank you,
    Last edited by Ossian; 25th April 2011, 07:05.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: 4 or 6 utp 5e in a trench

If you have a look in a Comms cabinet and follow the bundles of often 50+ cables back into the ceiling (or floor) and then off to their destinations I think that will answer your question. In my experience with cabling, I have never has crosstalk issues with bundles of up to 12 cables over 75 metres and 6 cables over a 90 metre distance.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015