Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novice Networking and Security ?

Charter Cable Internet
    DIR-615 Wireless Router (Set up Static IP)
    Windows Server 2008 R2
    Windows XP {##Download#} for 6-8 Workstations
    Custom Built POS developed in Visual Studio 2008

Im new to networking and have been trying to learn how to create a network that will allow one workstation complete internet access for research and development, while being connected to the other workstations only on an intranet basis. How do I configure the router to help me with this configuration? How do I stop the internet from reaching our research pc's but still be interconnected to one main pc or a server? Im actually new to server setups or configs so if anyone has any suggestions for a wanting-to-learn-novice-in-charge-of-a-big-project about the best way to do this it would be great.
    Last edited by Rems; 14th April 2011, 09:12.

Re: Novice Networking and Security ?

Windows XP {##Download#} for 6-8 Workstations
    You know, we will happily support Windows XP Pro Edition, or Home Edition, or Media Centre Edition, or even Tablet Edition, but not a pirated, hacked edition.
    Last edited by Rems; 14th April 2011, 09:12.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

wow. to be honest im such a novice i had no idea thats what i was using. i inherited this entire job from someone i thot was on the up and up. any support without the xp help. im wonderin about the router mostly. im sure thats not hacked

Comment

Block outbound traffic from the other PCs. The router documentation will tell you how. Investigate a proxy.

I'm afraid I'm not comfortable providing any more assistance for a pirated setup, although I appreciate your position in that you inherited this setup. I would strongly advise that you raise the issue with management in writing and formulate an action plan, which should be put in writing. Should you be auditied, while you would probably get into trouble for the lack of licenses, they will usually give some leeway if you can show that since you took over, you have been actively implementing a legitimate licensing strategy.

It may be worth engaging an appropriate consultant to guide you on the licensing issue, although for a network your size that's probably not necessary. As far as I can see you have three choices.
        1. Assuming the computers have OEM licences for an edition of Windows you can use commercially (2000 or XP Professional for instance), format them to remove the existing OS and install from scratch using the OEM keys. This will require your computers to all have OEM license key stickers.
        2. Purchase retail copies of XP for your computers.
        3. Purchase new computers with OEM licences for an edition of Windows that can be used commercially.

#3 is preferable in my view since this also gets you newer, more powerful hardware which will be under warranty.

Ensure that your server(s) are licensed. Also ensure the same for any software installed on your workstations, since I believe XP##edition also includes a pirated copy of Office for instance.

Ensure that management are aware of the situation and why it is a problem. Ensure that all communication regarding the matter is in writing so that if/when it gets taken further, you personally are afforded some protection should management decide to continue running without licenses, since it is your responsibility to inform management of the problem as the manager of the systems concerned.

I must add that the above advice is based on UK legislation. I don't know what country you are in so you may wish to seek legal assistance in planning a strategy.
        Last edited by Rems; 14th April 2011, 09:21.
        Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

In the event of an audit, as an employee of this project, am I in any way responsible for misuse of unlicensed software, or copyright enfringement. I am also not very sure I am comfortable being a part of this after the information you sent me. Other than find another job, what recourse do you recommend? Got any jobs available. I gotta get outta here

Comment

We don't know what country you're in and we're not legal experts. Additionally, information received on an Internet forum would not be considered legally binding. As such, use what you learn here as a guide, not a guarantee.

You may well get a grilling from the auditors, if you get audited. However if you can show evidence that you have made the situation clear to management, explaining what the problem is, why it's a problem, giving options and proposing an option, then you effectively put the ball in their court. In the UK, it'd be the MD/CEO/... who would most likely face sanctions, however if you as the IT manager have not made them aware of the situation, then you could well face sanctions too. For piracy on your company's scale, chances are the company would receive a fine rather than anybody going to court, but obviously this isn't a gamble you should be taking.

Scaremongering over... yes it's something to be concerned about. But as previously suggested, if you have a written plan of action in place agreed by management and can show that you're progressing towards being fully compliant, are on schedule and can show when you will be compliant, then as far as FAST in the UK would be concerned you are technically compliant. They would want to audit you closely in the future but you'd probably "get away with it".

My suggestion would be to contact a couple of licensing resellers and ask for them to come to your site and give suggestions. You're probably a little small to justify a volume license so there may be a small fee for this service. Once you've done that you will be in a better position to approach management with suggestions.

The first thing you must do though is inform your supervisor that there is a problem and make it clear that you will investigate the full extent of the issue.

Again, your company is probably too small for this to apply, but there is always the possibility that management may pursue legal action against the previous administrator. If you do decide to leave the company (I'd suggest that should be a last resort and only if management make things uncomfortable for you), then ensure that you formally report the issue to management first and in good time before handing in your notice. That way you cover yourself against any future legal action.

Keep in mind that things may not be as bad as they seem - it may be that management are unaware of the problem, or of the possible consequences and that all that they need is a push in the right direction.
            Last edited by gforceindustries; 14th April 2011, 19:18.
            Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

He's in the USA (Charter's a USA ISP). It's a fairly safe bet that the bulk of the software on those PCs are pirated software that came with the OS. Wouldn't be suprised if there's spyware / viruses on them either. IMHO since these are research / Point Of Sale PCs, who knows what information has been stolen already (if it has of course).

This should help: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...nuine/business

How old are those PCs? Assuming they're not that new, it's definitely a good idea to get all new PCs and start from scratch. More powerful and not compromised. I wouldn't even hook them up to the same network as the suspect PCs.
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X