No announcement yet.

ipv6 internal network, onto ipv4 network

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ipv6 internal network, onto ipv4 network

I've been reading some stuff on another forum (zomg!) and it's actually making me consider all sorts of things in regards IPv6.
    I'm not real strong on the network side of things though, so this is possibly a dumb question.

If I was building a network for a new client, for arguments sake, a greenfields site for a startup business, would it be possible to, for instance, make the entire internal network ipv6 only, but still have it route outwards over an ipv4 gateway onto the ipv4 network ?

(considering so few isps probably provide ipv6 or dualstack)

I mean, there's the obvious question of "why?" If I was building a network of ~100 devices for instance, there;s no need to go ipv6 on that network at all - I can use one (possibly 2 if necessary) class C ranges, and NAT it over a single front-end IP address, no big deal there.

But.. just for amusements, or interests sake.. future proofing this theoretical business, until such time as ipv6 becomes widely avaiable on the internet, and suddenly we can publish a whole route to their internal network if required
    Last edited by tehcamel; 1st April 2011, 08:33.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point

Re: ipv6 internal network, onto ipv4 network

I would guess yes and you need to dive into something like NAT-PT, I found a link about that but didn't read all about it...

i'm in your same situation.... i've implemented an ipv6 network and i'm using nat pt to communicate with the ipv4 world... for now i can ping any ipv4 host using the <ipv6prefix>::<ipv4hostaddress> the problem now is to convert the AAAA Ipv6 dns query in A DNS query and viceversa.... i've read about DNS64 or DNS-ALG that must do this but for now i wasn't able to setup one.... if you find something about this and if you can tell us how you have done will be nice!!

seems that microsft forefront uag must do these but for now i'm not able to make it work!!

let we know!

Ok, have been learning some more about IPv6 and for me it looks like I will throw the NAT idea into the bin. I will be going for dual stack first.