How to join subnets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to join subnets

In the same office I have two workgroup networks on different subnets using different T1's for internet.

I would like to install an sbs 2008 server on one of the networks and a secondary dc on the other. What type of hardware do I need to join these two networks? Would a concentrator do it?

Re: How to join subnets

To join the two networks together, you'd need a router.

Is it really necessary to keep the two separate networks though? If SBS meets your needs then your company can't be particularly big, do you really need two WAN connections? If you specifically want to keep both connections, you could use a dual-WAN router to load balance the connections.
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

The T1's have seperate providers.

T1= cisco router provided by ATT and managed by Cbeyond.

T1= Router provided by ATT and managed by a franchise in chicago with a dedicated pipe to a citrix system also in Chicago.

So do to the setup I can't get my own router with duel wan card and manage these T1's.

Comment

setup a permanent site-to-site vpn between the two networks.

It's a bit silly, to route out of the network and back in, but seems like the simplest solution.

The OTHER way to do it, would be to get another router, with 2 ethernet interfaces.
        Connect one interface to each switch, with an ip addrss relevant for each domain, then have it route accordingly.
        You'd need to probably ALSO publish the correct routes on the T1 routers if you can, because they're the default routers, and you want to know that it'l redirect them.

i think the other question is, WHY are you doing that.. what do you want to acheive ?
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Both of these networks are on a workgroup. I want to put them on a real domain and transfer their email to exchange.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

How bout a router or even just a Linux box acting as a router, then using DHCP setup a static route for each subnet,

ie - Subnet 1

would have the equivilant of (if you just added via DOS)

route add -p 192.168.5.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.4.1

and Subnet 2 device would have

route add -p 192.168.4.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.5.1

I have for the sake of ease made up a /24 subnet here.

A linux with IPTABLES would do the trick.

Comment

The OTHER way to do it, would be to get another router, with 2 ethernet interfaces.
              Connect one interface to each switch, with an ip addrss relevant for each domain, then have it route accordingly.
              You'd need to probably ALSO publish the correct routes on the T1 routers if you can, because they're the default routers, and you want to know that it'l redirect them.
              that's what you need to do then
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

It's probably best to explain the current network in greater detail and what your end game is.

So far it sounds like this:

2 workgroups in the same physical office on 2 subnets on 2 different internet connections.

Workgroup 1:
                -ISP # 1
                -Internal network: 192.168.1.* (yes, fake / random)

Workgroup 2:
                -ISP # 2
                -Internal network: 19.168.2.*

You'd like to combine both workgroups into the same domain on an SBS 2008 box.

Questions:
                1. It sounds like you have 1 T1 for the office internet and then a 2nd explicitly for a Citrix connection, correct?
                2. It sounds like there are two distinct business groups: one that only uses the external connection, and one that only uses the Citrix connection? Is this two distinct businesses / companies?
                3. How many employees / computers / servers are there currently? Is there an estimated growth rate in the next 6 months / 1 year / 2 years?
                ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X