No announcement yet.

Router Speed Indicators

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Speed Indicators

It would seem the Broadband speeds shown in the Connection Status box of such as Windows XP when using a router is nonsense. A router I used before it failed to connect any more and that shown by my next door neighbour working perfectly with a different server both indicate a fantasy speed of 100 Mbps. Yet when we both run a speed test from sites it shows the correct speed of a little over 2 Mbps, as correctly shown with my many year old simple USB Modem I still use.

Can anyone explain why please we have this anomaly?

Re: Router Speed Indicators

I think you will find the 100Mbps is the speed of the network connection from XP to the router, not the broadband speed. The router may have a web interface which shows the speed it is connecting at, or as you say you can use or similar sites
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Router Speed Indicators

The speed the router is connecting at may also not be the same as the speed you experience from your computer.
      Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.