Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With wired and wireless connection, prefer go wired but metric doesn't always work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With wired and wireless connection, prefer go wired but metric doesn't always work

When a laptop has both wireless and wired connection at the same time, we want to make sure the network traffic is going through the ethernet cable first instead of going via air. A lot of research was telling me that Windows has the preferred route to higher throughput interface. I found this to be true on Windows 7 that it assigned metric 10 on the wired connection and metric 25 on wireless. Here is the problem...

When I have both network connection on and start trasfer files from a server, in Task Manager networking tab I can see the traffic is going through the wired connection as expected. However, if the laptop is "on wireless first" without network cable, then connection to a server, say Server1, is initialed, Windows 7 seems memorize this path or route. Later after the ethernet cable is plugged in, the traffic going to Server1 will be still on wireless interface rather than the wired connection. Looks like metric is not playing the magic any more once there is cache in the system. On the other hand, with both connection on, if I try to connect to another server, the wired connection will be taken. To me, the metric only works for the first time connection.

Any thought to correct the problem and make ethernet connection always be the preferred route?
    Last edited by biggles77; 16th March 2011, 15:03. Reason: Changed font size

Re: With wired and wireless connection, prefer go wired but metric doesn't always wor

Yep, definately a pain in the bum, especially when you are shift GB size files. Being a lazy sod i just press the Wireless button and switch it off. I think XP automatically defaulted to the wired connection if t was plugged in BUT if a file transfer was in progress then it kept using the wireless.

Are you wanting to have a transfer jump from wireless to ethernet if you decide to connect the cable?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Re: With wired and wireless connection, prefer go wired but metric doesn't always wor

What I want is not the "live jumping" when the cable is plugged in but I wish on the next transfer after the cable is plugged in, it will go wired. The reality is, it won't go that direction. Windows remembers the interface it takes to a certain IP address.

Comment

Working...
      X