2 IPs, 1 switch and 2 routers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 IPs, 1 switch and 2 routers

This isn't a movie sequel, it potentially is my home setup.

My ISP is giving me 2 IPs. This is perfect as I'd like to setup my home network a certain way. Currently I have the following hardware:

1 cable modem, 2 routers.
    6 wireless devices.
    3 wired computers.

What I'd like to do is;

cable modem
    |
    switch-----wireless router-----6 wireless devices + 1 wired.
    |
    |---------wired router------2 wired computers.

I'd obviously need to buy a switch for this solution. However, is the above the best way of getting the to 2 assigned IPs to each router so I keep things separate? Another reason is I'm taking a network course and would like to be able to do labs without affecting the other systems.

Thank you!

Re: 2 IPs, 1 switch and 2 routers

uhm...

I think you'd need to do it by putting the cable modem in "bridge" mode - so it's just a dumb connection basically.
    then you'd need a router sitting at the front end, that deals with the IPs and routes them

i don't knw if you can do it the way you want.. you might be able to, but I don't know

the issue is going to be getting the IPs transported between the cable and the two routers - the switch won't do this (it'll transport the traffic, but can't route)

why do you need two iPs ?

the other thing is, if they are giving you two IP addresses, they are likely giving you a block of 4, but only 2 are usable.

so whatever sits at the front end (the cable modem in your diagram) is going to need to know how to interpret that network address.

we have lots of clients that have more than 1 IP - basically, the block of say 8, is delivered to the service - we normally use a Fortigate firewall. In front of the fortigate is a modem that's in dumb mode - it just handles the connection.

The fortigate then redirects the IP addresses to the internal hosts - it just forwards, rather than routes.
    Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Thanks for the reply tehcamel.

By default the Motorola modems we get through the ISP will only give you one IP address. I needed to call my ISP support and they changed the setting in the modem to get a second IP. I haven't set up my network yet however, since 2 IPs are now assigned to my router the setup I mentioned earlier should work correct?

Comment

I picked up a really basic switch today and plugged everything in. Everything went according to my original plan

cable modem
        |
        switch----(ISP IP 1)----wireless router----(Private IPs)----6 wireless devices + 1 wired.
        |
        |-----------(ISP IP 2)----wired router----(Private IPs)------2 wired computers.

Comment

hey mate

glad you got it worked out
          Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Originally posted by werdna View Post
            I picked up a really basic switch today and plugged everything in. Everything went according to my original plan

cable modem
            |
            switch----(ISP IP 1)----wireless router----(Private IPs)----6 wireless devices + 1 wired.
            |
            |-----------(ISP IP 2)----wired router----(Private IPs)------2 wired computers.

=================================
            Question1: Your IP1 can talk to IP2? (Ex: 10.0.0.250)

Question2: If printer connected to IP2, can you print from IP1? (Computer IP: 192.168.1.250......Printer IP: 192.168.1.50)

Thanks
            Last edited by HDNguyen; 25th March 2011, 21:15.

Comment

Working...
            X