Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to block the BBC's iPlayer website

Hi

Can anyone tell me how I can block the BBC's iPlayer website without preventing other content from the BBC from loading, please?

Our firewall software will only block a domain and not a sub domain so it is all or nothing with that.

Searching for block iplayer on the BBC's website does not help, and a general search does produce anything useful either. I have tried the BBC's contact us, but keep getting a 404 error (!).

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks!
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Re: How to block the BBC's iPlayer website

Do you have managed switches? QOS to deprioritise streaming media may do the trick, with the added benefit that it makes the service unusable without actually *blocking* it, so if anybody complains you can just point out that the viewing of streaming media is chewing through all of the company's bandwidth
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks for replying, Gareth.

Unfortunately, we don't use managed switches. We have two points of control: a Draytek 2820 router and the local software firewall. The router includes content filtering and one of the classifications is 'streaming media'. However, this simply does not work - all BBC video, radio, youtube etc passes through. As I said before, as I am unable to specify a sub-domain in the local firewall, I am unable to specifically block the iplayer site.

Comment

You may have to look into some additional filtering platform then.

Don't forget to make sure that your IT usage policy is aligned with what your technology enforces
        Gareth Howells

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Thanks.

I'm just looking into ways of doing this at the moment.

We are presently reviewing bandwidth usage across the company and have asked for a week of 'abstinence' from YouTube, the BBC iPlayer website etc, to try and determine what impact use of these sites has. Quite a few staff have got into the habit of listening to Internet radio or listening to BBC plays via the iPlayer website all day and of course other sites with video during their breaks.

Our AUP covers 'reasonable' use and would only need to be tweaked slightly if we decide to restrict web usage.

Comment

Is this a domain environment???

If it is then you could use DNS to get round it.

Comment

Can't use DNS because he wants the rest of the BBC site to be accessible. iPlayer doesn't have its own subdomain.
              Gareth Howells

Comment

Doesn't it???

Haven't used it for many years so can't remember.

From memory though the iPlayer is an exe file isn't it??? Use a GPO to block that exe from running.

Comment

It used to be...

These days it's really no different from Youtube or any other streaming media site.

If there's a spare PC lying around, or the budget for one, have a look at something like Untangle perhaps. Or a Linux/Squid combo. No software costs, relatively low hardware costs (sure, server-class hardware with some redundancy would be nice but is expensive) and will give you considerably more control over web usage than you currently have
                  Last edited by gforceindustries; 11th March 2011, 01:51.
                  Gareth Howells

Comment

Lol ok then.

I'll go sit in the corner with the dumb hat on now

Comment

Or you could head on over to iPlayer and watch something awesome.

Like...

Uh...

Ok so somebody who watches TV will have to suggest a show to you, I don't have the required free time

Originally posted by wullieb1 View Post
                      Lol ok then.

I'll go sit in the corner with the dumb hat on now
                      Last edited by gforceindustries; 11th March 2011, 01:54.
                      Gareth Howells

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I appreciate it

Comment

I appreciate that you don't have managed switches at present and therefore couldn't use QoS. Depending on your budget though, you might be able to get a small (5 or 8 port) managed switch that supports QoS - they're quite inexpensive these days - and put that somewhere appropriate on the incoming Internet feed, based on your description earlier in the thread I would imagine that would be between the router and the LAN. A bit of a fudge but maybe worth a shot.
                          Gareth Howells

Comment

Looking around a little on t'interwebs, I found a small lead. It's older information, but may be worth trying.

Try blocking bbcmedia.fcod.llnwd.net

Comment

Working...
                            X