X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK BT I Plate

I have just installed an I Plate over my BT main Box as shown at

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/d...c/346,407,2782

Though I am skeptical it will result in any increase in Broadband speed. No increase is showing since I fitted it yesterday, though I am told it could take a week or two before some system notices it. In case anyone does not know it is supposed to have some tiny filter inside to remove Radio frequencies picked up by the phone lines such as extensions, which can affect the Broadband signals.

Has anyone here in the UK found any improvements on speed purely as a result of fitting an I Plate? I bought it from eBay which has adaptors for both the standard BT and the Openreach boxes.

Re: UK BT I Plate

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
    I am told it could take a week or two before some system notices it
    I'm confused... I understood from the link you posted that this filters out interference. Not too sure why you'd need to wait for their system to update itself. Maybe it tells BT to stop putting the interference on your line in the first place

I'd also be highly skeptical about any satistically significant increase in speed - it strikes me as being akin to fuel line magnets or go-faster stripes. One for the Mythbusters
    Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Its the "adaptive adsl" which takes time to adjust to better line conditions
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Have a look at the blub at below, you will see it is supposed to remove Radio Frequency interference mainly on inside extensions. Some claim though posts to below claim to see an instant improvement. Though like some have posted here you should keep routers powered on all the time to adjust to the best speed, so some say it could take a week or two to see an improvement from installing the I Plate. I have seen no change in 3 days.

http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-i...ator-58LT.html

Comment

If the interference on your line is so bad to noticably reduce your speed, then yes you will probably see an instant improvement. I highly doubt you'll get anywhere near that level of interference in a domestic environment though.
          Gareth Howells

BSc (Hons), MBCS, MCP, MCDST, ICCE

Any advice is given in good faith and without warranty.

Please give reputation points if somebody has helped you.

"For by now I could have stretched out my hand and struck you and your people with a plague that would have wiped you off the Earth." (Exodus 9:15) - I could kill you with my thumb.

"Everything that lives and moves will be food for you." (Genesis 9:3) - For every animal you don't eat, I'm going to eat three.

Comment

Yes I appear to suffer from no such internal interference even as a licensed Radio HAM when operating my transmiiter in the same room as this PC, while nattering in a local net.

It rather looks like another broadband scam like Ofcom complaining about severs promising massive speeds. I know of a couple of local lads paying over the odds for increased broadband speed they never get.

Comment

Originally posted by GordonSweet View Post
              I know of a couple of local lads paying over the odds for increased broadband speed they never get.
              http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/s...ds-are-less-t/
              ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm on Be*Unlimited (Now owned by o2) and they were one of the first ISPs in the UK to go to ADSL2+ and also actively tell users how to get the max speeds. Theoretically it's 24mbps, I actually get between 17 and 19mbps.

One thing that did make a difference for me is the telephone socket that the ADSL modem is plugged into. It should be the "master" socket, the one with the most direct connection to the external telephone lines. I found I was losing 0.5-0.75mbps in the few metres of wire to the spur sockets. Sky+ boxes are also known to reduce synch speeds, Be recommend using 2 micro filters on Sky+ boxes for this reason.
                BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
                sigpic
                Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
                X